Collector's Speak and Display Collections
- To get in touch with the main contemporary art collectors active in Portugal;
- To acquire knowledge about how to organize art collections in the primary and secondary market, to understand the motivations and the particularities related the collecting activity;
- To assimilate the socio-economic context of the constitution of the art collections;
- To identify taste nad trends in the current collecting practice;
- To develop critical sense about the collectors' role in the art system and about the collections as cultural heritage.
Adelaide Manuela da Costa Duarte
Weekly - Available soon
Total - 280
The prerequisites are those defined in the application notice.
CABANNE, Pierre, Les grands collectionneurs. Être collectionneur au XXe siècle, Tome II, Paris, Les Éditions de L’Amateur, 2004.
Coleção António Cachola. Vol. 2012, Museu de Arte Contemporânea de Elvas, 2012.
DUARTE, Adelaide, Da coleção ao museu. O colecionismo privado de arte moderna e contemporânea em Portugal, Lisboa, Caleidoscópio/ Direção Geral do Património Cultural, 2016.
HATTON, Rita & WALKER, John A, Supercollector. A critique of Charles Saatchi, 4th Edition, Esher, Surrey, The Institute of Artology, 2010 (1ª Ed. 2000).
JIMÉNEZ-BLANCO, María Dolores; MACK, Cindy, Buscadores de belleza. Historias de los grandes coleccionistas de arte, Barcelona, Editorial Ariel, 2007 (1.ª Ed.).
O’NEILL, Paul, The Culture of Curating and the Curating of Culture(s), Cambridge, Mass: MIT Press.
POMIAN, Krzysztof, Des saintes reliques à l’art moderne. Venise-Chicago, XIIIe-XXe siècle, Gallimard, 2003.
STOURTON, James, Great Collectors of Our Time. Art Collecting Since 1945, London, Scala, 2007.
Theoretical and practical classes. Most of these classes will be taught in museums by the collectors who were responsible for the meeting of works exposed to the public. A percentage of the classes to be defined by the teacher can be taught at a distance, by e-learnig.
Knowledge assessment is carried out from the projects. written presentation, and through the qualitative evaluation of participation in the sessions.(100%)
- Collecting in contemporaneity. Concepts, paradigms and problematization;
- Private and public collections in Portugal: history and specificities;
- Francisco Capelo, an eclectic collector (Lisbon);
- Museu Coleção Berardo de Arte Moderna e Contemporânea (Lisbon);
- Museu de Arte Contemporânea de Elvas, Coleção António Cachola (Elvas);
- Norlinda and José Lima Collection (São João da Madeira);
- QuARTel, Figueiredo Ribeiro Contemporary Art Collection (Abrantes);
- The public dimension of collecting. Strategies for disseminating art collections;
- Thinking and curating collections;
- Exhibit collections: spaces and itineraries;
- Edit collections.
Programs where the course is taught: