Evaluation of educational organizations and policies
The goal of the Evaluation of Educational Organizations and Policies Curricular Unit is to provide students with the basic understanding of the key concepts, approaches, methods and the mastery of competencies to perform evaluations of educational organizations and public policies.
At the end of this Curricular Unit, students should be able to:
1) Recognize the issue of the centrality of evaluation in the context of the transformation of the modes of regulation in education
2) Problematize the practices of self-evaluation, external evaluation and accountability
3) Distinguish different principles and models of evaluation
3) Design a benchmark for assessing some school dimension
4) Analyse an educational public policy
Susana Paiva Moreira Batista
Weekly - 3
Total - 280
Azevedo, JM(2007).Avaliação das escolas:Fundamentar modelos e operacionalizar processos.Miguéns(Dir.).Avaliação das escolas.Modelos e processos(16-99). Lisboa:CNE.
Barbier, JM(1993).Elaboração de projectos de acção e planificação.Colecção Ciências da Educação.Porto,Porto Editora.
Fialho, I(2009).A qualidade de ensino e a avaliação das escolas em Portugal. Contributos para a sua história recente.Educação.Temas e problemas – Avaliação, qualidade e formação,7(4), 99-116.
Maroy, C.; Voisin, A(2013).As transformações recentes das políticas de accountability na educação: desafios e incidências das ferramentas de ação pública.Educação & Sociedade, Campinas, 34(124),881-901.
Rodrigues,ML; Carreiras,H(Orgs.)(2017),Exercícios de Análise de Políticas Públicas,Lisboa, Mundos Sociais.
Santiago, P(2012),OECD Reviews of Evaluation and Assessment in Education: Portugal 2012,OECD Publishing.
Expositive methods are used articulated with interrogative, demonstrative and active methods. Point 1 is based essentially on the theoretical exposition of contents with the participative discussion of students. Point 2 continues with these teaching methods, adding demonstrative methods with the illustration of ways of doing, through real examples of school evaluation models, and active methods, in the sense that students are asked to present and discuss an evaluation framework for a dimension of the educational organization. Point 3 deepens this aspect, combining the expositive and demonstrative methods of public policy analysis with the critical exercise by students culminating in a critical essay on the analysis of an educational policy.
1. FROM THE TRANSFORMATION OF THE MODES OF REGULATION IN EDUCATIONAL SYSTEMS TO THE NECESSITY OF EVALUATION
1. Scales, Dynamics of transformation and types of system’s regulation
2. Decentralisation, autonomy and accountabilty policies
3. An “Evaluative State”?: the centrality of evaluation
4. Knowledge and decision-making processes
2. THE INSTITUTIONAL EVALUATION
1. The School as an organization
2. Principles and main models of (self)evaluation
3. Tools for gathering information
4. Articulation between self-evaluation and external evaluation
5. Evaluation and improvement
3. EVALUATION OF EDUCATIONAL POLICIES
1. The policy cycle approach
2. Evaluate what?
3. Methods to analyse educational policies
4. Impact, implementation assessment and improvement
Programs where the course is taught: