Strength of Materials I
1. Understand the fundamental concepts of Strength of Materials and of the theory of bars (axial force and bending moment), identifying the underlying simplifying assumptions.
2. Calculate and draw stress resultant diagrams of straight bars (3D) and cables (2D).
3. Calculate stresses and strains in thin shells of revolution under axissimetric deformation.
4. Analyse and calculate stress and strain states of straight bars under axial force and bending moment.
5. Analyse and calculate displacements/strains/stresses in statically determinate/indeterminate (1st degree) reticulated structures and, for axial force, with 1 d.o.f. and elastoplastic materials.
6. Apply the acquired knowledge, integrated with the knowledge obtained in Statics, Continuum Mechanics and Rigid Body Dynamics, to solve simple practical problems of Civil Engineering, analysing/evaluating the results and formulating alternative solutions.
Rodrigo de Moura Gonçalves
Weekly - 5
Total - 70
Knowledege of Statics and Mechanics of Continuous Media
Esforços em peças lineares, R. Gonçalves e J. R. Almeida, FCT/UNL, 2010.
Mecânica dos Materiais, A. Portela e A. Silva, Ed. Plátano.
Mecânica e Resistência dos Materiais,V. Dias da Silva, Ed. Zuari.
Mechanics of Materials,J.M. Gere, S.P. Timoshenko, PWS-Kent Publishing Co.
Mecânica dos Materiais, C. Moura Branco, Fundação Calouste Gulbenkian.
Resistência de Materiais , W. Nash, Ed. McGraw-Hill.
Mecânica dos Materiais, F.P. Beer, E.R. Johnston Jr., J.T. deWolf, Ed. McGraw-Hill.
Theoretical and practical classes. Laboratory sessions.
1. Statical determinacy of structures (review). Internal forces and moments in 3D space. Cables: concentrated and distributed forces, parabolic and catenary equilibrium. Thin shells of revolution under axissymetric deformation.
2. Axial force. Uniaxial tensile test of a mild steel bar. Stress concentrations. Saint-Venant’s Principle. Composite members. Thermal effects. Strain energy. Virtual Work. Unit Dummy Load Method. Force Method (1st degree statically indeterminate structures). Impact loads. Displacement Method (1st degree kinematically indeterminate structures). Elastoplastic and limit analyses of structures.
3. Bending moment. Uniaxial and biaxial bending, bending and axial force. Composite sections. Materials not resistant to tensile stresses. The cross-section core. The elastica. Thermal effects. Strain energy, Virtual Work, Unit Dummy Load Method and Force Method (1st degree statically indeterminate structures). Impact loads.