Maritime Hydraulics and Ports
At the end of this curricular unit the student will have acquired the knowledge, skills and competences that will allow him to:
- To understand general aspects of maritime traffic.
- To understand general aspects about the physical phenomena to be considered as the action on the design of maritime works (waves, currents, tides).
- To understand the phenomena of wave-structure interaction.
- To be able to identify the most important aspects that must be taken into account in the design of a maritime work and to evaluate the functional and structural characteristics of a breakwater.
- To be able to research scientific information, study autonomously and analyze, with critical spirit, information related to this course subject.
Maria da Graça Reis e Silva de Oliveira Neves
Weekly - 4
Total - 4
. Course notes
• Coastal Engineering Manual (CEM): US Army Corps of Engineers 2002 US Army Corps of Engineers
- Part II, Chapters 1 and 5
- Part VI, Chapter 5
• Introduction to Coastal Engineering and Management, J William Kamphuis, Advanced Series on Ocean Engineering: Volume 30, 2nd Edition, ISBN: 978-981-283-484-3
The evaluation will be carried out by "Distance evaluation", during the period of substitution of the face-to-face classes with distance learning methods, through the presentation (during the class) and discussion, of two works (with a weight of 50% each).
There will also be an appeal exam.
In carrying out any test, the Students must also take into account the paragraph 3 of article 10 of the Evaluation Rules of FCT NOVA: “When fraud or plagiarism is proven in any of the evaluation elements of a UC, students students directly involved are outright disapproved at UC, (…). ”
Introduction: Physical and economic importance of the sea, EEZ, continental shelf.
Ports and port infrastructures: traffic and cargo attractiveness; port terminals, loading and unloading requirements and operability.
Sea wave agitation and propagation: generation, description of wave agitation, wave theories, processes of wave transformation in shallow water (refraction, diffraction, reflection, wave breaking)
Maritime works: types of maritime structures, hydraulic and structural design of breakwaters, tools for design support