Structural and Geotechnical Project
The student should be able to:
1. Develop a structural and geotechnical design;
2. Design a structure compatible with an architectural project;
3. Define a geotechnical survey adapted to the structure to be designed and characterize a foundation soil based on the results of this geotechnical survey;
4. Conceive the adequate solution for design of geotechnical structures, considering the available construction techniques;
5. Design the geotechnical structures, using the principals of EC7 and EC8;
6. Design the reinforced concrete structures, using EC0, EC1, EC2 and EC8;
7. Use of commercial software to support design;
8. Define the technical specifications relevant to a design.
Carla Alexandra da Cruz Marchão, Pedro Fernando e Mota Guedes de Melo
Weekly - 5
Total - 82
The student shall have solid knowledge on Reinforced Concrete, Structural Analysis and Dynamics of Structures.
•EN1990 – Eurocode 0 - Bases of Structural Design, CEN, Abril 2002.
•EN1991-1 a 6 - Eurocode 1 – Actions on structures, CEN, Nov. 2002.
•EN1992-1- 1 - Eurocode 2 – Design of concrete structures, CEN, Dez. 2004.
•EN1997-1 – Eurocode 7 – Geotechnical design – Part 1: General rules, CEN, Nov. 2004.
•EN1998-1 - Eurocode 8 – Design of structures for earthquake resistance – Part 1: General rules, seismic
actions and rules for buildings, CEN, Dez. 2004.
•NP-EN206-1 - 2007 – Betão.
•NP-ENV13670-1 - 2005– Execução de estruturas de betão: Parte 1: Regras gerais.
•Tabelas Técnicas, J.S. Brasão Farinha e A.C. dos Reis, P.O.B, Setúbal, 1993.
•NCHRP (2007). Cone Penetration Testing, A Synthesis of Highway Practice. Transportation Research Board.
•Schnaid, F. (2009) - In Situ Testing in Geotechnics: the main tests. Taylor & Francis
The course has two lectures/problem solving classes each week, with 1h30m each. The semester has a duration of 14 weeks.
During the classes it will be exposed the subjects of the program of the discipline, providing students with the fundamental knowledge and its applications. The matter will be presented orally as captivating as possible in order to motivate the students, who are encouraged to participate actively in the classes. The board will be used for the exposition of the matter, being slide presentations also used whenever more elaborate and complex figures or photographs are needed.
For the rest of the time students will prepare their project. At the same time the teacher clarifies any doubts that may arise.
The evaluation will be done with basis on the project done by the students, and an oral exam.
The grade is obtained on the evaluation of the work done along the semester after its presentation and discussion .
The syllabus will be adjusted to the designs that, each year, will be presented to students for development, but will include the following general topics:
1. Introduction to structural and geotechnical design
2. Conception of the superstructure
Conception for gravity loads, wind, imposed deformations; conception for seismic loads
3. Conceptions of the geotechnical structures
Depending on the specific structure, the soil should be characterize based on field and laboratory tests; integrated analysis of results for the definition of the most adequate values for the main geotechnical parameters; conception and design of geotechnical structures, using the principals of EC7 and EC8
4. Use of commercial software to support design
5. Technical specifications
Programs where the course is taught: