Processes, Development and Monitoring
It is intended that students acquire a current view of the role of Green Chemistry and Biotechnology in the development and optimization of processes in the chemical and pharmaceutical industries.
Ana Maria Ferreira da Costa Lourenço
Weekly - 2
Total - 25
Book - Biocatalysts and Enzyme Technology, by Klaus Buchholz, Volker Kasche and Uwe Bornscheuer, Wiley-VCH, 2005
Scientific papers and other teaching material supplied to students.
The teaching of the UC of PDM will be carried out through theoretical classes that will take place over the 14 weeks of the semester with a weekly load of 2 teaching hours.
The UC is composed of three parts.
The topics included in the program will be presented to students through slides and practical situations will be presented for discussion.
Program distribution: (considering a total of 11 weeks of classes)
- 1 week presentation
- 4 weeks part 1 (3 lessons and 1 hour for mini-test at the end of the module. Mini-test performed in the class itself)
- 1 week (seminar presented by guest from the chemical industry)
- 4 weeks part 2 (3 lessons and 1 h for mini-test at the end of the module. Mini-test carried out in the class itself)
- 4 weeks part 3 (3 lessons and 1 h for mini-test at the end of the module. Mini-test carried out in the class itself)
3 mini-tests to be carried out throughout the semester that will be carried out online on the moodle @ FCT platform.
Each mini-test has a weight of 1/3 of the final grade. There is no minimum grade for each test, however, the average of the 3 tests must be equal to or greater than 9.5 values.
The student who had an average of 3 tests below 9.5 values will have to make the appeal.
The resource can be used to improve grades, according to school rules.
1 - Chemical industry - importance and impact on society today
History and development of the chemical industry.
Sources of energy and chemicals for the chemical industry .
Development in the fine chemicals industry ( and the atomic factor and efficiency, the importance of scale-up , operations and permitted and prohibited reagents , safety considerations d )
The role of green chemistry in developing sustainable industrial processes
2 - Green Chemistry and Biotechnology in the Chemical and Pharmaceutical Industry
- Biotechnology in the service of Chemical Industry
- Replacement steps of chemical synthesis by biotechnological processes using biocatalysts ( retrosynthesis biocatalytic )
- The Role of Synthetic Biology in the Chemical and Pharmaceutical Industry
- Environmental Biotechnology and Resource Recovery from Industrial Residues
3. Monitoring of chemical processes
Monitoring of processes and impacts on the environment of industries in the agri-food sector:
- Chemical and biological control of raw water;
- Chemical and biological control of the process;
- Chemical and biological control of liquid and gaseous emissions