Jorge Manuel Pinto Lampreia Pereira, Maria Cristina Oliveira Costa
Weekly - 4
Total - 60
Robert V. Dilts D. Van Nostrand, ISBN 0-442-22158-4
Physical Biochemistry: Principles and applications
1st Edition, David Sheehan, Wiley-VCH Verlag GmbH ISBN 0-471-98663-1
A. Pingould, C. Urbanke, J. Hogget, A. Jeltsch, 1st Edition, Wiley-VCH Verlag GmbH ISBN 3-527-30299-9
Fundamentals of Analytical Chemistry (7th ed)
D. A. Skoog, D. M. West and F. J. Holler, Saunders College Publishing
Principles of Instrumental Analysis
Skoog, West, Holler, Nieman, Thomson Learning, ISBN – 0-03-002078-6
Daniel C. Harris, Freeman, New York, 5th Edition (1999) ISBN – 0-7167-2881-8
Practical High Performance Liquid Chromatography
Veronika Meyer, Wiley, ISBN0-471-941328.
Lectures and problem-solving sessions, supported by data show projection of figures/plots/text included either in the documentation supplied directly by the teacher or in the recommended bibliography.
In order to get frequency the student have to attend all 5 laboratory sessions (with previous preparation) and to submit the proposed questionnaire at the end of each practical session.
The evaluation has 2 components: theoretical (T) and laboratorial (L). The final classification is calculated according: 0.25 x L + 0.75 x T.
To get approval in the theoretical part it is necessary to obtain positive (higher or equal to 10) classification. It can be done by 2 mid-term tests or by final exam.
The laboratorial classification results from a test at the end of the term or by final exam. It is necessary to obtain classification equal or higher than 10.
- Distribution equilibrium. Distribution (partition) coefficient (KD). Distribution ratio (D). Relation between D e KD in several cases.
- Solvent extraction: Batch extraction, Continuous extraction and Countercurrent extraction. Extraction of metal chelates. Extraction constant KE and pH1/2
- Chromatography. Principles of chromatography. Elution. Shape of the peaks. Partition coeficient. Retention time and peak widht. Factor capacity factor and selectivity. Velocity theory. Resolution. Number of theoretical plates.Partition chromatography. Liquid-liquid chromatography. Normal and reverse phase chromatography.Planar chromatography: Paper chromatography and Thin layer chromatography.Ion exchange chromatography.Size exclusion chromatography.Affinity chromatography.Gas chromatography.HPLC.
- Mass Sepctrometry.
- Electrophoresis.Principles of electrophoresis. Non-denaturing and denaturing electrophoresis. Isoelectric focusing.Two-dimensional electrophoresis. Proteomics. Electroblotting procedures. Capillary electrophoresis.
- Centrifugation and ultra-centrifugation.
- Hydrodynamics methods: sedimentation, ultrafiltration and dialysis.
- Purification of a membrane protein.
- Determination of caffeine in beverages- HPLC and GC
- Electrophoresis SDS PAGE
Programs where the course is taught: