Marine and Freshwater Ecology
Maria Paula Oliveira Sobral
Weekly - 5
Total - 84
1. Aquatic ecosystems. Global importance and services
2. The aquatic environment. Physics and chemistry of water. Hydrodynamics, salinity, temperature, light and nutrients
3. Pelagic communities. Adaptation to life in water. Phytoplankton, zooplankton and nekton.
4. Benthic communities. Marine communities and sedimentary processes. Periphyton and macrophytes. Macroinvertebrates.
5. Aquatic ecosystems. Rivers, lakes and reservoirs. Estuaries, rocky and soft-bottom shores, coral reefs, the open ocean. Wetlands, temporary streams and ponds, hydrothermal vents, salt lakes, artificial systems.
7. Impacts and sustainability. Present situation and trends.