The Biochemistry Bachelor Programme (BBP) extends over 3 years, with 60 credits each year, in a total of 180 credits. Each credit corresponds to 28 hours of learning, including lectures, problem-solving sessions, laboratory classes, seminars, and other learning activities as well as individual study.
The Programme prepares the students to immediately integrate the European biochemistry / chemistry-related market, or to access a 2nd cycle of studies if their option is a major specialization.
All teaching activities of the BBP take place at the Faculdade de Ciências e Tecnologia of Universidade Nova de Lisboa, mainly at the Chemistry Department (http://www.dq.fct.unl.pt).
The BBP curriculum organization and contents provide the following general objectives: a) A solid background in Biochemistry and Chemistry; b) a recognised equivalence with other Cycles from European institutions that offer the same degree; c) an immediate access to other training degrees from National or European institutions; d) acquisition of the generic competences and basic knowledge in Biochemistry/Chemistry that enables the new bachelor graduate to enter the European biochemistry/chemistry-related market, including industrial and government laboratories.
Specific Goals of the Programme
- To develop capacities for independent learning and generic competences that allow the new bachelor graduate to have access to a 2nd cycle of studies.
- To provide a broad university-level education in biochemistry / chemistry, with a good background in mathematics, statistics, physics and genetics.
- To acquire familiarity with the scientific method and develop the capacity to apply it and innovate, to have the capacity to do a previous evaluation, analysis and to solve biochemical/chemical problems, to achieve the competence for the treatment of experimental data, and to learn how to present reports.
- To acquire competences for the use of equipment and laboratory material, individually or in team work, planning and performing tasks with deadlines.
- To acquire competences in the utilization of informatics software in general, as well as in specific bioinformatic applications.
- To acquire competences in science communication, both orally and in a written form.
- To acquire competences to autonomously obtain documentation, bibliographic information about laboratory sessions and lectures, and specific information in key-areas of biochemistry/chemistry.
Bachelor (1st Cycle)
Access to other programs
Access to 2nd cycle
Maria Cristina Oliveira Costa
Duration: 3 years
Credits: 180 ECTS
|Biology or Biochemistry or Genetics or Chemistry or Chemical Engineering||B/Bq/G/Q/EQ||12||24|
|Social Sciences and Humanities||CHS||3|
|Any Scientific Area||QAC||6 (a)|
(a) 6 ECTS in courses chosen by the student on a list approved annually by the Scientific Council of FCT NOVA, which includes the unity of all scientific areas of FCT NOVA.
Conditions of admittance
The following modes of evaluation are used with regard to academic qualifications:
- Evaluation based solely on an examination or completion of a final project.
- Evaluation based on work done throughout the semester excluding examination or final project. In these courses students can expect to carry out, for example, laboratory activities, mini-tests, tests, individual or group projects, seminar-related activities, any combination of which will be used to determine the final grade.
- Evaluation based obligatorily on an examination or a final project. In these courses there extists a form of evaluation similar to one of the aformentioned activities in paragraph 2 as well as a form of evaluation based on a final exam.
- Evaluation based on work done throughout the semester with the possibility of foregoing an examination or a final project.
|7122||Cell Biology C||6.0|
|10352||Soft Skills for Science and Technology||3.0|
|10693||Introduction to Biochemistry||6.0|
|11832||Introduction to Biophysics B||6.0|
|10699||Mechanisms of Organic and Biological Reactions||6.0|
|8791||Metabolism and Regulation||6.0|
|1116||Molecular Biology B||6.0|
|10358||Science, Technology and Society||3.0|
|4.º Semester - Opção A|
|11324||Qualitative Analytical Chemistry||3.0|
|10716||Chemoinformatics||3.0||O aluno deverá obter 3.0 créditos nesta opção.|
|10721||Spectroscopy in Biochemistry||6.0|
|7104||Molecular Genetics B||6.0|
|5.º Semester - Opção B|
|10701||Biosynthesis of Natural Products||6.0|
|11822||Cellular and Molecular Toxicology||6.0||O aluno deverá obter 6.0 créditos nesta opção.|
|5.º Semester - Unidade Curricular do Bloco Livre|
|11066||Unrestricted Electives||6.0||O aluno deverá obter 6.0 créditos nesta opção.|
|10702||Fundamentals of Structural Biochemistry||6.0|
|10874||Undergraduate Research Opportunity Program||3.0|
|6.º Semester - Opção C|
|10688||Enzyme Technology||6.0||O aluno deverá obter 6.0 créditos nesta opção.|
|6.º Semester - Opção D|
|10717||Genomics and Molecular Evolution||3.0|
|10748||Processes, Development and Monitoring||3.0|
|10705||Computational Chemistry||3.0||O aluno deverá obter 3.0 créditos nesta opção.|