Laboratory Quality Control
The course will include fundamental aspects of good practices in laboratory, the laboratory organization and procedures. It will include legislation (ISO 17025 and ISO 9001).
The quality parameters, sampling and sample management will be also focused. Calibration procedures, method validation, Certified Reference Materials, validation of results and and the requirements for analytical quality as well as the process of lab quality audit will be taught.
Elvira Maria Sardão Monteiro Gaspar
Weekly - 2
Total - 28
Piotr Konieczka, Jacek Namiesnik, "Quality Assurance and Quality Control in the Analytical Chemical Laboratory - a Practical Approach. 2nd ed. CRC Press (2009)
Karl Heinz Koch, "Process Analytical Chemistry Control - Control, Optimization, Quality, Economy. Springer-Verlag Berlin Heidelberg (1999)
Statistics and Chemometrics for Analytical Chemistry, Fifth Edition, James N. Miller, Jane C. MillerPearson Education Limited, Essex CM20 2JE, England.
Ronald Christensen, “Analysis of Variance, Design and Regression”, Chapman & Hall/CRC, 1998
Pedagogical issues and tools will be given to the students during the course.
Theorical classes and seminars given by experts from entities where Quality Control is legally imposed. Student groups working under a theme involving all the concepts and course knowledge.
a) 1 Test and/or exam to evaluate concepts and theoretical aspects of Quality Control. (T/E) (> 9.5 val.)
b) Oral Presentation (.ppt) and Discussion. (OP) (> 9.5 val.)
Final evaluation: [0.6 x T/E ] + [0.4 x OP]
1. Quality control: concepts, organization, procedures and objectives.
2. Control and Quality Assurance - advantages. Terminology. Analytical methods - General principles and choice.
3. Analytical method validation.
4. Audits - internal and external audits.
5. Statistics for Analytical Chemistry and Quality Control.
6. Introduction to the presentation of results. Errors: classification and determination. confidence interval. Comparison of accuracy. Comparison of methods.
7. Data processing - Comparison of results.
8. Laboratory Records and Reports.
Quality control in an analytical material company.
Quality control in the laboratory of responsible entity by the waters, EPAL.
Quality control in the laboratory of the entity responsible for environmental control, APA.
Programs where the course is taught: