Design Theory and Methodologies
To know the main approaches to support the development of engineering design.
António José Freire Mourão, João Manuel Vicente Fradinho
Weekly - 4
Total - Available soon
- Axiomatic Design lecture notes (2019) (Elements from João Fradinho classes)
- Park, G.-J. (2007). Analytic Methods for Design Practice. London: Springer-Verlag
- Fradinho J, Mourão A, Gabriel-Santos A, Cavique M, Gonçalves-Coelho A. An axiomatic design interpretation on the use of response surface methodology to solve coupled designs. Proc. ASME 2015 International Mechanical Engineering Congress & Exposition. 2015 .
- Other elements provided by teachers.
- Continuous assessment: presentation of two group works and a test (and/or exam).
- Obtaining frequency: realization of the group works.
- Presentation of Work 1 - 19 to 22 April (20% of the final classification)
- Presentation of Work 2 - 11 to 17 May (20% of the final classification)
- Realization of the Test - 14 June (and / or the exam) (60% of the final classification)
- Exemption of examination: weighted average ≥ 10.
Analysis and synthesis in engineering design.
The main stages of the design development process.
The principles of design of N.P. Suh (Axiomatic Design).
The Theory of Inventing Problem Solving (TRIZ/TIPS).
The Quality Function Deployment - QFD.
The Design Structure Matrix - DSM.
The Decision Matrix.
The Systematic Design of Pahl & Beitz.
Some current paradigms of engineering design: Life cycle; Concurrent Engineering; Design for X (DFX); the Kano''''''''''''''''s space.