SIGs and Health
• Understand the concept of GIS and its importance in Health.
• Understand the difference between data and geographic information.
• Understand the key features of a GIS and its application in Health.
• Know which tools are available for working with GIS in Health.
• Understand what kind of geographic data can include a GIS to work in Health.
• Understand what spatial analysis is and how it can be applied in Health.
• Describe the historical evolution of the use of geographic information and GIS in Health
• Know where to find geographic data for Health.
• Know how to manipulate geographic and health data in order to integrate it in a GIS.
• Know and explain what epidemiological surveillance systems are.
• Solve real problems with the use of GIS in Health.
• Perform a set of spatial analysis with Health data using QGIS.
• Produce Health cartographic products.
Isabel Cristina Maciel Natário, Pedro da Costa Brito Cabral
Weekly - Available soon
Total - 41
Basic notions of Analysis and intermediate level notions of Probability and Statistics.
• Cabral, P. e Oliveira A. (2011). Sistemas de Informação Geográfica para Saúde. In: Cunha G., Eiras M. e Teixeira N. (Eds.), Bioestatística e Qualidade na Saúde. Lidel: 205-238
• Kurland, K. S., Gorr, W. L., 2014, GIS Tutorial for Health, fifth edition, Redland: ESRI Press.
This course is taught through usual theoretical and computer classes and complemented with digital contents available in the e-learning platform using synchronous tools (discussion and answering questions online with the teacher) and asynchronous tools (forum, e-mail, learning materials available in the e-learning platform). Videos will also be available dedicated to the explanation of concepts and solving practical examples as well as a set of exercises. In order to clarify lectures.
Individual GIS exercise (70%)
This course is organized in 4 Learning Units:
UA 1 - Geographic information, GIS and Health
UA 2 - Historical evolution of the use of geographic information and GIS in Health
UA 3 - Spatial databases for Health
UA 4 - Epidemiological surveillance systems
Programs where the course is taught: