This curricular unit aims to sensitize students to the importance of entrepreneurship, innovation, and experimentation, as well as the development of social skills and entrepreneurship techniques for innovative and technological projects. The UC aims to motivate and prepare students to undertake innovative projects in companies or develop technology-based startups.
Aneesh Zutshi, António Carlos Bárbara Grilo
Weekly - 4
Total - 48
Paul Burns, (2010), "Entrepreneurship and Small Business: Start-up, Growth and Maturity", Palgrave Macmillan, 3rd Ed.
Shriberg, A. & Shriberg (2010), "Practicing Leadership: Principles and Applications", John Wiley & Sons, 4th Ed., USA.
Spinelli, S. & Rob Adams (2012). “New Venture Creation: Entrepreneurship for the 21st Century”. McGraw-Hill Higher Education; 9 Ed.
Thomas H. Byers, Richard C. Dorf, Andrew Nelson (2010) “Technology Ventures: From Idea to Enterprise”, 3rd Ed., McGraw-Hill Higher Education
To support students it will be made available severla links, blogs and videos on the various subjects presented.
Considering the available time (5 weeks), the teaching methodology praises that, in each week the subjects presented are discussed and worked (in groups), which had been defined in the learning objectives.
In the first week, the subjects introduced to students are related with entrepreneurial strategic issues, generation of ideas, leadership and work team management; as a result, the students will have to organize their teams to be able to define the problem. In the 2nd week, the subjects presented will allow the student to pursuit its project; they have to consider different options for the problem identified in the previous week. In the 3rd week, the market related issues are approached, and the students are asked to build a marketing plan. In the 4th week, financial issues are addressed, making it possible to accomplish a business plan. In the last week, the process of how to expose the idea to potential stakeholders is addressed; the students are required to present and argue their project in an elevator pitch.
This methodology gives priority to:
1) the presentation of practical and successful cases;
2) the promotion of soft skills, namely, in what concerns to the development of critical thinking, the defense of ideas and arguments based on technical-scientific data, to the tolerance and capacity of dealing with conflicts in adverse and stressful situations.
3) the participation of the students in practical works and assessments and its presentation.
This course is directed to students from the 4th and 5th years of the "Mestrado integrado" and students from the 2nd cycle (mestrado).
The program was design for a duration of 5 weeks, with a total of 3 ECTS.
Classes are based in an exposition methodology. Students will be asked to apply their skills in the creation and development of an idea, regarding a new product or a new business.
Students evaluation is based on the development and presentation of an idea/project in an elevator pitch, and its report. The work should be developed in teams of 4-5 members. The presentation should account for 50% of the final mark and the report 50%.
2. Definition of the idea and development of the solution;
3. Proposal of Value and Business Model;
4. Market Analysis and Marketing Plan;
6. Study of Financial Flows;
7. Development plan;
8. Implementation and financing.
Programs where the course is taught:
- Big Data Analytics and Engineering
- Actuarial Science, Statistics and Operations Research
- Biochemistry for Health
- Biomedical Engineering
- Civil Engineering (Structures and Geotechnics)
- Renewable Energy Engineering
- Materials Engineering
- Micro and Nanotechnology Engineering
- Industrial Engineering and Management
- Electrical and Computer Engineering
- Physics Engineering
- Geological Engineering
- Computer Science and Engineering
- Mechanical Engineering
- Chemical and Biochemical Engineering
- Specialization in Conservation Sciences
- Specialization in Theory, History and Techniques
- Molecular Genetics and Biomedicine
- Financial Mathematics
- Pure Mathematics
- Advanced Materials Innovative Recycling
- Construction Profile
- Environmental Systems Engineering Profile
- Sanitary Engineering Profile
- Structures Profile
- Geotechnics Profile
- Bioorganic Chemistry
- Food Technology and Safety
- Agro-Industrial Production and Processing Technologies