Cell and Molecular Biology
The Undergraduate Programme on Cell and Molecular Biology aims at explaining the basic structures and fundamental processes of life at molecular and cellular level, providing an in-depth study of concepts together with the development of advanced technological and scientific skills in Cell and Molecular Biology.
The Undergraduate Programme on Cell and Molecular Biology follows the current model in other European Universities: 3 year cycle with a total of 180 ECTS (1st cycle). The first 4 semesters aim at building a solid knowledge in supporting scientific areas (e.g. biology, chemistry, biochemistry, genetics etc), which provide sufficient background to enable students to continue with more specialised courses. The last two semesters consist of more specialised courses, such as applied microbiology, immunology, virology, and toxicology.
At the end of the course, it is expected that students: i) understand the major concepts in cell and molecular biology and are able to apply the acquired knowledge; ii) have an active attitude towards problem solving and experimental design; iii) use acquired skills in a professional atmosphere (e.g. research or industry); iv) demonstrate effective use of transferable skills in oral presentation, report writing and the use of information technology
- Further academic development - Continuation towards 2nd cycle
- Research/Academia (Portugal and abroad)
- Teaching and Research (Universities and High Schools)
- Pharmaceutical, Food and Biotechnology companies
- Health Professions (e.g. Genetics and Microbiology clinical laboratories)
- Insurance Companies
- Environmental Pollution and Bioremediation
- Biotechnology/Biomedical Consultants
Bachelor (1st Cycle)
Access to other programs
Access to 2nd cycle.
Luís Jaime Gomes Ferreira da Silva Mota
Duration: 3 years
Credits: 180 ECTS
|Social Sciences and Humanities||CHS||3|
|Any Scientific Area||QAC||6 (a)|
(a) 6 ECTS in courses chosen by the student on a list approved annually by the Scientific Council of FCT NOVA, which includes the unity of all scientific areas of FCT NOVA.
Conditions of admittance
The following modes of evaluation are used with regard to academic qualifications:
- Evaluation based solely on an examination or completion of a final project.
- Evaluation based on work done throughout the semester excluding examination or final project. In these courses students can expect to carry out, for example, laboratory activities, mini-tests, tests, individual or group projects, seminar-related activities, any combination of which will be used to determine the final grade.
- Evaluation based obligatorily on an examination or a final project. In these courses there extists a form of evaluation similar to one of the aformentioned activities in paragraph 2 as well as a form of evaluation based on a final exam.
- Evaluation based on work done throughout the semester with the possibility of foregoing an examination or a final project.
|10352||Soft Skills for Science and Technology||3.0|
|3737||Chemistry of Life||6.0|
|10649||Biology Laboratory Techniques I||3.0|
|10650||General Biochemistry A||6.0|
|11146||Informatics for Science and Engineering B||6.0|
|11823||Introduction to Biophysics A||6.0|
|10410||Probability and Statistics C||6.0|
|11194||General Organic Chemistry A||6.0|
|11010||Cell Biology A||6.0|
|10651||Fundamentals of Ecology||6.0|
|10652||Metabolism and Regulation||6.0|
|10654||Molecular Biology A||6.0|
|10653||Biosafety and Bioethics||3.0|
|10358||Science, Technology and Society||3.0|
|8143||Laboratory Techniques in Biology II||6.0|
|10655||Molecular Genetics A||6.0|
|12028||Introduction to Bioinformatics||6.0|
|5.º Semester - Opção 1|
|10657||Applied Microbiology||6.0||O aluno deverá obter 6.0 créditos nesta opção.|
|5.º Semester - Opção 2|
|11822||Cellular and Molecular Toxicology||6.0|
|10659||Virology||6.0||O aluno deverá obter 6.0 créditos nesta opção.|
|5.º Semester - Unidade Curricular do Bloco Livre|
|11066||Unrestricted Electives||6.0||O aluno deverá obter 6.0 créditos nesta opção.|
|12029||Project in Cell and Molecular Biology||12.0|
|6.º Semester - Opção PIIC/PIPP|
|11012||Undergraduate Research Opportunity Program||3.0|
|11013||Undergraduate Practice Opportunities Program||3.0||O aluno deverá obter 3.0 créditos nesta opção.|