Doctorate in Biomedical Sciences
The Doctorate Program in Biomedical Sciences provides the students:
- Advanced knowledge in the areas of cell and molecular biology, immunology, bioinformatics, epidemiology, prevention and control, applied to medical parasitology and microbiology;
- Skills to develop independent scientific research. Design, implement and critically analyze research projects generating new knowledge at national and international level;
- Personal and professional skills that facilitate the integration in the business sector, in academia, in international networks or governmental and non-governmental agencies;
- Communication capabilities that allow the adequacy of transmission of scientific data to different audiences and in different situations;
- Scientific principles and professional ethics to enable them to promote ethical conduct in all activities and interpersonal relationships.
PhD (3rd Cycle)
Access to other programs
The Doctorate is the final qualification
2750 euros per year
Monday to Friday, from 9 am to 1 pm
Mostly in Portuguese. Some CU may be taught in English
Duration: 4 years (8 academic semesters). Total credits: 240 ECTS for the achieve of the Doctoratedegree (60 in curricular units + 180 in the preparation of the dissertation).
Conditions of admittance
Consult the Course Regulations available at www.ihmt.unl.pt/education/ciencias-biomedicas/
Evaluation Regulation available at www.ihmt.unl.pt/servicos-academicos/.
Each curricular unit (CU) is evaluated according to the criteria established by the Teacher in charge, which are available in the section "Evaluation method" in the "General characterization" tab of each CU.
The academic degree of the Doctorateis given a final classification in the range of 10-20 of the entire numerical scale from 0 to 20, as well as its equivalent in the European scale of comparability of classifications. The calculation of the final classification is obtained by weighted arithmetic average by the number of credits.
|1st year - 1st semester|
|5573038||Computational Biology and Bioinformatics||4|
|5573040||Molecular Epidemiology of Infectious and Parasitic Diseases||5|
|5573035||Ethics and Health Research||2|
|5573029||Immunology of Infectious and Parasitic Diseases||4|
|5573039||Global Health, population health and social determinants||3|
|1st year - 2nd semester|
|5573041||Experimental design and thesis project||4|
|1st year - 2nd semester - Cellular and Molecular Biology Specialty|
|5573043||Applications in Molecular Biology||6|
|5573042||New approaches in cell biology||4|
|1st year - 2nd semester - Microbiology Specialty|
|5573045||Applications in Medical Microbiology||6|
|5573044||Challenges and Perspectives in Microbial Biology||4|
|1st year - 2nd semester - Parasitology Specialty|
|5573047||Applications in Medical Parasitology||6|
|5573046||Global Perspective of Parasitic Diseases||4|
|5573031||Doctorate Thesis in Biomedical Sciences||180|