Introduction to Research Methodology
1. Understand the theoretical and conceptual foundations of health research
2. Analyse critically the principles and applications of the quantitative, qualitative and mixed methods research approaches
3. Be able to apply the concepts of the different steps in the research process
4. Understand the principles and methods of quantitative research
Weekly - 4
Total - 24
• Armitage, P., and Berry, G. (2005). Statistical Methods for Medical Research. 4th Edition. Oxford: Blackwell Science Ltd. • Bowling, A. (2014). Research Methods in Health - Investigating health and health services. 4th Edition. Opening University Press. • Cresswell, J. W. (2009). Research Design: Qualitative, Quantitative, and Mixed Method Approaches. 3rd Edition. London: Sage Publications. • Health Research Methodology: A Guide for Training in Research Methods. World Health Organization. Regional Office for the Western Pacific Manila, 2001. • Fathalia MF. A Practical Guide for Health Researchers. World Health Organization. Regional. Office for the Eastern Mediterranean. 2004. • Hill, M., and Hill, A. (2009). Investigação por questionário. 2ª Edição. Lisboa: Sílabo.
There will be different methods of teaching-learning: theoretical sessions and theoretical-practical sessions with exercises based on problem-solving. Utilization of different methods of teaching-learning: theoretical sessions and theoretical-practical sessions with exercises based on problem-solving.
The assessment consists on the design of a health research protocol.
I. Theoretical and conceptual framework of research: Theoretical and conceptual foundations of the different research paradigms: Deductive and Inductive approaches; Positivism and Constructivism.
II. Health research approaches: Quantitative, qualitative and mixed-method methodologies; Introduction to mixed-methods methodology; Utility and application of the different research methodologies.
III. Research process: Literature review; Purpose, objectives and hypotheses; Research proposals; Study design; Ethics and Ethical Committees.
IV. Quantitative methods – Sample size and Sampling: Calculation of sample size, statistical significance and sampling; Sampling methods.