Marketing Strategy and Innovation
The course of Marketing Strategy and Innovation (MSI) aims to develop on students an improved understanding and practice in key topics related to marketing strategy, strategy innovation, and design thinking for innovation. It also provides a hands-on approach using a diversity of challenges and paths in which students can craft their own learning journey.
Guilherme Hidalgo Barata Martins Victorino
Weekly - Available soon
Total - Available soon
Portuguese. If there are Erasmus students, classes will be taught in English
There are no enrolment requirements. However, students with no previous marketing background should become familiar with basic marketing concepts by reading the recommended books and materials.
- Clegg, Stewart et al. Strategy: theory and practice. London: Sage, 2011
- Kotler, Philip & Keller, Kevin Lane. Marketing management. 15th ed. Boston: Pearson, 2015
- Osterwalder, Alexander & Pigneur, Yves. Business model generation: a handbook for visionaries, game changers, and challengers. New Jersey: John Wiley & Sons, 2010
- Kim, W. Chan, and Renée A. Mauborgne. Blue ocean strategy, expanded edition: How to create uncontested market space and make the competition irrelevant. Harvard business review Press, 2014.
- Henry Mason, David Mattin, Maxwell Luthy, Delia Dumitrescu (2015). Trend-Driven Innovation: Beat Accelerating Customer Expectations. Wiley. ISBN: 978-1-119-17042-6.
- Kolko, J. (2015). Design thinking comes of age. LINK: https://cdn.fedweb.org/fed-42/2892/design_thinking_comes_of_age.pdf
- Fisk, Peter. Gamechangers: Creating Innovative Strategies for Business and Brands; New Approaches to Strategy, Innovation and Marketing. John Wiley & Sons, 2015.
- Cagan, Marty. Inspired: How to create tech products customers love. John Wiley & Sons, 2017.
- A. K. Pradeep, Andrew Appel, Stan Sthanunathan. AI for Marketing and Product Innovation: Powerful New Tools for Predicting Trends, Connecting with Customers, and Closing Sales. John Wiley & Sons, 2018.
- Kelley, T., & Kelley, D. (2013). Creative confidence: Unleashing the creative potential within us all. Currency.
Workshop-oriented classes, lectures, project-based learning, case studies, weekly challenges, quizzes.
Individual Challenges: 20%
A minimum grade of 8.0 (in 20) for the Quiz/Exam
A minimum grade of 10.0 (in 20) for the Project Deliveries
For each day of delay, a -1 point (in 20) penalty is applied.
In the first call, students must complete 4 out of 8 challenges.
In the first call, students must complete 4 out of 8 quizzes.
The curricular unit is organized in the following Learning Units:
1. Introduction to Strategy & Marketing
2. Marketing Strategy and Innovation (MSI) Canvas
3. The context and emergence of strategic relevance
4. Competitive Analysis and Blue Ocean Strategy definition
5. Strategy as process and practice
6. Marketing as a strategic force via E² Design (Experience + Engagement)
7. The Marketing Strategy and Innovation (MSI) plan
8. Creating a customer value proposition
9. Setting design thinking as an innovation strategy
10. Identifying behavioral insights for marketing
11. Business Models Innovation
12. Prototyping and Managing marketing innovations
Programs where the course is taught:
- Specialization in Information Analysis and Management
- Specialization in Risk Analysis and Management
- Specialization in Knowledge Management and Business Intelligence
- Specialization in Information Systems and Technologies Management
- Specialization in Marketing Intelligence
- Specialization in Marketing Research and CRM
- Specialization in Knowledge Management and Business Intelligence – Working Hours Format
- Specialization in Information Systems and Technologies Management - Working Hours Format
- Specialization in Marketing Intelligence - Working Hours Format
- Post-Graduation in Information Analysis and Management
- Post-Graduation Risk Analysis and Management
- PostGraduate in Data Science for Marketing
- PostGraduate in Digital Enterprise Management
- PostGraduate Digital Marketing and Analytics
- PostGraduate in Information Management and Business Intelligence in Healthcare
- Post-Graduation in Knowledge Management and Business Intelligence
- Post-Graduation Information Systems and Technologies Management
- Post-Graduation in Marketing Intelligence
- Post-Graduation Marketing Research e CRM
- PostGraduate in Enterprise Information Systems