Master of Geographic Information Systems and Science
Developed in partnership with UNIGIS, the master degree program in Geographic Information Systems and Science provides a broad training in theoretical and practical fields related to geographic systems analysis, in e-learning or b-learning formats. It recently obtained the GEOINT (Geospatial Intelligence) accreditation by the United States Geospatial Intelligence Foundation (USGIF) and was the first program outside the US to be accredited by this organization.
Designed to meet businesses, and public and private organizations’ needs, the study program provides the needed framework to acknowledge technical, scientific and organizational aspects of GIS applications, to settle analysis techniques related to the conception and the implementation of GIS projects, and to assure the needed qualifications for a scientific career in Geographical Science and Information Systems.
The goal of this program is to train technical staff and managers to:
- Develop appropriate strategies, methodologies, and tools of geographic information management, for the analysis of questions raised when using this type of information;
- Model, monitor, and simulate geographic, demographic, and environmental phenomena in diverse analysis contexts;
- Use methodologies and tools of exploration and analysis, to reduce the levels of uncertainty related to the resolution of problems of a geographical nature;
- Design and develop information systems and technologies that meet the needs of geographic information in organizations.
Applications - academic year 2020/2021 - only for Portuguese-speaking
To complete the application, the applicant must register in NOVA IMS' Applications Portal, fill the form, upload their Curriculum Vitae, pay the application fee (€ 51), and submit the application in the end from June 16th to July 16th. The selection process is based on the analysis of the applicant's academic and professional curriculum.
Master (2nd Cycle)
Access to other programs
Under the UNIGIS International network, the students who earn the master's degree in Geographic Information Systems and Science (95 ECTS) can earn the diploma in European Master’s in GI Science, Project 29320-IC-3-98-1-AT-ERASMUS-CDA-1 (Certification EuroMasterGI), and complement their diploma by:
- Getting a minimum of 12 ECTS, conducted in a foreign language;
- Completing the course unit “EuroGIS” (6 ECTS) in Universität Salzburg;
- Developing a scholarly thesis, work project or an internship, in English;
- Having an international learning experience (Summer School International UNIGIS), with a minimum of 2 ECTS. This has to be made through a classroom course.
Note: the student can be accepted in other Summer School, as long it is related to the course and the application is approved by the master’s course coordinator.
After working hours
Earning the postgraduate program diploma in Geographic Information Systems and Science requires concluding the mandatory course unit of Geographic Information Systems, which corresponds to 7,5 ECTS, and other elective course units, corresponding to 52,5 ECTS.
To earn the Master’s degree in Geographic Information Systems and Science, students develop a thesis, work project or a professional internship, to be held during a third semester, which corresponds to 35 ECTS.
Conditions of admittance
The requirements for applications are:
Holding an bachelor's degree or equivalent in a compatible field;
Holding higher education level conferred on the 1st cycle of studies (bachelor's degree) under the Bologna legislation, by an adherent European country.
Holding a foreign academic degree, approved by the Scientific Council of NOVA IMS, for achieving undergraduates' goals;
Holding a relevant academic, professional and scientific curriculum, approved by the Scientific Council of NOVA IMS, for being able to conduct this study program.
|1º year - Spring semester|
|200173||Comparative Geospatial Intelligence Communities||7.5|
|200024||Geospatial Data Mining||7.5|
|200094||Geographical Information Systems and Modelling||7.5|
|200124||Geographical Information Systems in Organizations||7.5|
|200143||Open Software and GIS Programming||7.5|