Economic History of Speaking Portuguese Countries
Maria Eugénia Mata
Weekly - Available soon
Total - Available soon
Portuguese and English
- Bethencourt, Francisco e Kirti Chaudhuri, História da Expansão Portuguesa, Lisboa, Círculo de Leitores, 1998.
- Bethencourt, Francisco e Diogo Ramada Curto, A Expansão Marítima Portuguesa (1400-1800), Lisboa, Edições 70,
- Boxer, C.R., O Império Marítimo Português (1415-1820), Lisboa, Edições 70, 1981.
- Disney, A.R., História de Portugal e do Império Português, Lisboa, Guerra & Paz, 2011.
- Estevão, João, Estevão, João, História da Moeda em Cabo Verde: Do início do povoamento à actualidade, Praia, Banco de Cabo Verde, Tipografia Santos, 2015.
- Mata, Eugénia, and Nuno Valério. História económica de Portugal: uma perspectiva global. Vol. 3. Editorial Presença, 1994
Classes will develop students' research skills. Will use library resources, locally and electronically
The chair score is the weighted average of the required final exam grade (60%) and information for the semester (40%). The final exam covers the whole matter. The information of the semester consists of an individual written work (20%) and an oral presentation (20%) as a member of a group. Written work should consider an issue to be announced in class. Written works must be short (up to 1000 words) and the deadline is 20 April 2020. Each student will upload their work to the moodle page of this subject, where the date is recorded. Delays will be discounted on the note (at the rate of 1 value per day), and the extension will also (for equity).
Brief introduction to the Lusophone world
– Overview of the history of the Portuguese Overseas Empire (1415-1975)
– Independence and first century of life in Brazil (1822-1930) 4 – The "Race to Africa" and the "new Brazil" (1880-1930)
5 – Twentieth Century: an integrated imperial economy (1930-1975) 6 – Colonial War and Decolonization (1960-1975)
– The Brazilian economy in the 20th century (1930-2012)
– The Angolan economy after independence (1975-2013)
– The Mozambican economy after independence (1975-2013) 10 – Guinea-Bissau's economy after independence (1975-2013)
11 – The economy of Cape Verde after independence (1975-2013) 12 – The economy of Sao Tome and Principe after independence (1975-2013)
Programs where the course is taught: