To possess a general and articulated knowledge of the key legislation of the health system and of some of the most important legal areas in health care, such as the rights and duties of patients, liability for clinical damages, medical malpractice and the protection and confidentiality of health data;
To be able to identify the law as an essential area of practical interaction in the Health System and as a tool for quality improvement in the management of healthcare units.
Weekly - Available soon
Total - 22
- Faria, P.L. e Cordeiro, J.V. - Public health: current and emergent legal and ethical issues in a nutshell in Routledge Handbook of Medical Law and Ethics, Edition: 1st, Chapter: Public health: current and emergent legal and ethical issues in a nutshell, Publisher: Routledge, Editors: Yann Joly, Bartha-Maria Knoppers, 2014, pp.369-389;
- Faria, P.L. - Medical Law in Portugal, Ed. Kluwer Law International BV, The Netherlands, 2010, Download on demand:www.kluwerlaw.com, ISBN 978-90-411-3313-7
- Faria, P.L. e Lupi, M.J. - A ética, o direito e a governação clínica.In: Campos, L eta al (ed. lit.) - Governação dos hospitais. Lisboa: Casa das Letras : ARSLVT, 2009. 323-332.
- Mariner, W.K. and Faria, P.L. (Eds) - Law and Ethics in Rationing Access to Care in a High-Cost Global Economy – Ed. ENSP-UNL e Boston University School of Public Health, Lisboa,2008,ISBN 978-972-9-98811-9-0
- Faria, P.L. (Ed.)- The Role of Health Law, Bioethics and Human Rights to Promote a Safer and Healthier World – Ed. FLAD e ENSP-UNL, Lisboa, 2006, ISBN 972-98811-4-6
The teaching methods are appropriate to the nature of the various types of contents in the program:
- Contents 1, 2, 3 and 5 – Course sessions with a higher component of expositive methods by the teacher/s;
- Contents 4 and 6 – Course sessions using case study and e-learning methods.
- Collaboration during the classes (10%)
- Individual test/exam (90%)
Programs where the course is taught: