Policy, Management and Health Administration Seminary
The seminar is prepared to introduce concepts and methodologies related with Health Policy, Management and Administration, and to establish a relationship between these conceptual issues with and the preparation of a preliminary research protocol. Overall the doctoral candidates should be able to:
- Identify and discuss models and practices, to improve accessibility, health needs assessment, appropriateness of care, effectiveness and efficiency in health, pointing out to better health outcomes and value in health;
- Use strategic analysis, planning interventions and scientific evidence to optimize the utility function in the health sector;
- Use the appropriate methodologies for Health Policy and Health Services Management performance evaluation;
- Identify the main concepts of Health Policy, Management and Administration and the best practices to prepare a research protocol applied to each student investigation area.
Weekly - Available soon
Total - 62
Frequency of the Doctoral Program in Public Health
– Walt, G et al. “Doing” health policy analysis: methodological and conceptual reflections and changes. Health Policy and Planning. 2008, 23, 308-317.
– Hornbrook MC. Hospital Case Mix: Its Definition Measurement and Use. Part I: The Conceptual Framework. Med Care Rev. 1982; 39(1):1-43. Part II. Review of Alternative Measures. Med Care Rev. 1982; 39(2):73-123.
– Miller H. From Volume To Value: Better Ways To Pay For Health Care. Health Affairs. 2009, 28 (5):1418-1428
– Griffith JR, Alexander JA e Jelinek RC, 2000. Measuring Comparative Hospital Performance. Journal of Healthcare Management, 47 (1), 41-56.
– Comissão Científica do Programa de Doutoramento: Guião do protocolo de tese de doutoramento, 2014
- Theoretical and Practical Lectures
- Individual presentations and discussion in the Seminar
a) Specific training in the field of specialty, encompassing educational group sessions (theoretical and practical) and tutorial teaching.
b) The preparation by the student of a thesis proposal project containing a theoretical basis of its relevance, review of the main literature and expected methodology, including respective data sources.
- Theoretical component :
- Attendance and class participation: 20%
- Presentation and discussion of a preliminary protocol of the thesis, taking into account the knowledge and skills provided for educational purposes, and considering as its starting point the students preferences for its research: 80%.
- Component on the preparation of the doctoral thesis protocol (6ECTS): Presentation of the protocol before a jury composed of the Seminar Coordinator, the tutor and a member of the scientific committee of the doctoral program. To be admitted to the thesis phase the student must have in this component a minimum grade of 14.
- Health Policy, Health Services Management and Strategic Management
- Production, Payment Methods and Performance Evaluation of Health Services
- Management and organizational models of the Health System and Health Services
- Health Needs Assessment and Value in Health
- Methodologies for designing research protocols: conceptual framework and practical issues
Programs where the course is taught: