This course aims to contribute to the understanding of the general mechanisms of disease in order to allow an understanding of the nutrition as an important factor in Human Pathology.
The study of Biopathology allows the understanding of the structural and functional alterations of the cells, tissues and organs with injuries.
The objective of this discipline is that, at the end of the semester, the student be able:
• To know and understand the basic principles of disease (causes, mechanisms, cell injury and lesion processes);
• To identify and interpret the morphological changes, the events tissue, cellular and molecular mechanisms responsible for different types of pathology;
• To know the pathological vocabulary
• To understand the contribution of nutrition in the genesis and disease prevention;

General characterization





Responsible teacher

Prof.ª Doutora Ana Félix


Weekly - Available soon

Total - Available soon

Teaching language



This course has the prerequisite of knowledge of human anatomy, histology and embryology, physiology and genetics.


• Robbins Basic Pathology, 10th Edition (2018); By Vinay Kumar, MBBS, MD, FRCPath, Abul K. Abbas, MBBS and Jon C. Aster, MD, PhD. ISBN: 978 0 323 35317-5

Teaching method

The course is organized in master classes in order to be able to explain concepts and demonstrate injury, and illustrate the etiopathogenesis of the disease and the application knowledge of practical lessons by observing the macro and microscopic lesions and performing solving cases of clinical-pathological (centered on changes in nutrition and disease).
Lectures (2h / week)
Practical classes (2 hours / week) for the demonstration of the morphological lesions (tutorial observation under a microscope); training on individual observation of morphological lesions, using computer platforms; and application exercises and demonstration of knowledge in the form of clinical-pathological cases.

Evaluation method

The learning assessment will be done through a distributed practice assessment that correspond to 40% of the final mark and through a final exam that will assign the remaining 60% of the final grade.

Subject matter

The general themes of the program are:
• Introduction to Biopathology
• Reversible and irreversible cell injury and disease causes
• Cell death (types) and forms of cellular adaptation and aging
• Inflammation, types and disorders of inflammation and immunity groups
• Vascular changes
• Genetic factors and disease
• Environmental and nutritional factors and disease
• Neoplasms


Programs where the course is taught: