Defined as terms of learning products (knowledge, aptitudes and skills to be acquired by the students) that will be subjected to evaluation.
To diagnose, manage and treat the most common paediatric conditions both in the community or in the hospital namely the following: respiratory diseases, neurologic problems, renal and urinary diseases, gastrointestinal, cardiovascular, renal, metabolic, haematological, endocrine, infectious diseases; perinatal, neonatal diseases and surgical conditions.
To know how to manage clinical urgent and emergent situations such as shock, coma, traumatic problems, surgical emergencies, respiratory failure, dehydration.
To know how to prescribe antibiotics and other drugs as well as oral and intravenous solutions.
To know how to use the different ways to give medication.
To know and have practiced Paediatric and neonatal resuscitation.
To know the principles of palliative care in paediatrics.
To know how to perform a scientific talk the presentation, to present it and to answer questions.
Prof.ª Doutora Catarina Limbert
Weekly - Available soon
Total - Available soon
Slides of theoretical lessons, published online on the Moodle, are a guide for the theoretical classes and are not enough to have a deep vision of issues. Other books or articles in medical magazines may be advised by teachers.
- Nelson Essentials Of Pediatrics (Karen Marcdante e Robert M. Kliegman),
Elsevier, 8th Edition, 2018
- Nelson Pediatric Symptom-Based Diagnosis (Robert M. Kliegman, Patricia S. Lye, Donald, Bsc, Mbbch Basel, Heather Toth e Brett J. Bordini), Elsevier - Health Sciences Division, 1st Edition, 2017
- Tratado de Clínica Pediátrica. João M. Videira Amaral. Lisboa, 2013
- Orientação Diagnóstica em Pediatria (JM Palminha, Em Carrilho). Lidel Lisboa, 2003.
- Terapêutica Pediátrica em Ambulatório (MA Costa, MC Lemos, F. Durão, JM Palminha; Editora Lidel, 2ª Ed Lisboa, 2008.
- Essential Pediatrics (David Hull, Derek I Johnston. Eds.). Churchill Livingstone. 4th Edition, Edinburgh, 1999
- Illustrated Textbook of Paediatrics (Tom Lissauer, Graham Clayden). Ed. Mosby. 5th Edition, London, 2017
- Paediatric Clinical Examination Made Easy (Dennis Gill, Niall OBrien). 6th Edition, Elsevier, 2017
- Symptoms and Signs in Pediatric Surgery - Georges L. Kaiser, 2012
- Guide to Pediatric Urology and Surgery in Clinical Practice - Prasad P. Godbole, Duncan T. Wilcox, Martin Koyle, 2011
- Fundamentals of Pediatric Surgery-Peter Mattei, 2017
Lectures 42 lectures of 50 minutes will be provided in each semester on the most important medical and surgical conditions in paediatrics. The recorded slides of the lectures will be provided in the moodle according to schedule. Or Non-presential lectures will be provided, with online interactive discussions using the zoom platform.
Theoretical-practical lesson will be provided in paediatric cardiology to groups of 10 to 12 students in the ward.
Clinical practical lessons will take place in Paediatric wards, outpatient clinic and emergency room from 9am to 1pm. Due to possible public health restrictions, the schedules of clinical activities will be adapted and in order to reduce the number of students in the same working area. Several tasks will be distributed during the morning such as: collection of clinical histories, to consultation of digital platforms for clinical cases and interpretation of laboratory and image findings in the field of paediatrics.
Simulation course where most useful and frequent procedures and techniques in Paediatrics will be shown using simulation tools to groups of 7 / 8 students.
Seminars where groups of students will prepare oral PowerPoint presentations on several issues, to be evaluated (5/20) by all the students and assistants at the end of the course. The best presentation may be selected to be presented at the National Congress of Paediatrics.
Of note, the schedule of clinical activities might be extended in the afternoon due to clinic´s procedures and routines. The clinical practice on the emergency ward can take place between 9pm to 12pm according to Assistant´s duties.
Programs where the course is taught: