PhD in Geography and Territorial Planning
1) To master the theoretical and methodological principles in Geography and Territorial Planning;
2) To articulate the theory of complex spatial systems with the resolution of problems in the fields of Environment, Development and Territorial Planning;
3) To develop critical thinking skills, research works and original applications in the respective area of specialisation;
4) To be able to train researchers, lead teams and manage research programs in the area of specialisation;
5) To develop spatial analysis and simulation models in Geography and Territorial Planning, using Remote Detection and Geographic Information Systems;
6) To design studies and projects in the areas of specialisation of the program using an integrated perspective of Territorial Management;
7) To propose systems to evaluate the scientific and technical quality of studies and projects in the areas of specialisation;
8) To communicate knowledge and know-how in the fields of Geography and Territorial Planning to a variety of audiences.
PhD (3rd Cycle)
Access to other programs
O grau de "doutor" é uma qualificação final.
The degree of "doutor" is a final qualification.
José António Pereira Tenedório
1400 Euros/year or 2500 Euros/year (foreign students)
Length: 8 semesters. Total credits: 240 credits (60 from curricular units + 180 credits from the non teaching component). Non teaching component modalities: Thesis. Number of credits as free-elective optionals: 10 credits. The free seminar optional can be chosen among curricular units from the postgraduate training offered by the Faculty of Social Sciences and Humanities (FCSH/NOVA), in other units of NOVA University of Lisbon, or other national or foreign Higher Education Institutions, by agreement or protocol.
The degree of «doutor» corresponds to the level 8 of the NQF and EQF-National Qualifications Framework/European Qualifications Framework.
Conditions of admittance
To be admitted to a doctoral programme of studies, the candidate should satisfy the conditions set forth in Portuguese legislation and in the normative conditions of UNL as well as fulfil at least one of the following requirements: a) Have a Masters degree, or a legal equivalent; b) Have a first cycle degree (licenciatura) and a particularly relevant academic or scientific curriculum which is recognised by the Academic Board of FCSH/NOVA as testifying to the candidates ability to undertake this cycle of studies; c) Possess an academic, scientific or professional curriculum recognised by the Academic Board of FCSH/NOVA as testifying to the candidates ability to undertake this cycle of studies.
The cycle of studies leading to the degree of Doutoramento (Doctorate) includes following a doctoral programme that consists of course units aimed at providing training to do research, and the submission of an original doctoral thesis especially written for the purpose and which is appropriate to the nature of the branch of knowledge or speciality and which contributes to expanding the boundaries of knowledge. Grades for the seminar-type course units are awarded using a numerical scale ranging from 0 to 20. The final grade awarded to the doctoral course is expressed by Approved or Not Approved. When a candidate is awarded an Approved classification, the final grade of the doctoral course is expressed as a number between 10 and 20, on a scale of 0 to 20, and is the mathematical average of the grades obtained, in which the course units with 10 ECTS have a weighting of 1 while the final thesis has a weighting of 2. The research project is defended in a public defence held at the end of the semester in which the student concludes the doctoral course. It is assessed by a jury comprising 3 members. The thesis is awarded a classification of Approved or Refused through a justified nominal vote with no abstentions permitted; if the thesis is approved, the jury then votes on a grade which may be Good, Good with Distinction or Very Good. The final qualification is awarded under the terms of Article 36, nº 2 of Decree-Law 74/2006, of 24 March, altered by Decree-Law n.º 107/2008, of 25 June, 230/2009, of 14 September, 115/2013, of 7 August, 63/2016, of 13 September, 65/2018, of 16 August.