PhD in Urban Studies
Joint doctorate degree programme between FCSH/NOVA and ISCTE-IUL.
The study cycles objectives are:
- To qualify students for the use of advanced skills, methods, concepts and theories essential for the study of Urban Studies in an interdisciplinary context at postgraduate level;
- To give students the opportunity to apply these advanced methods, concepts and theories in both general and more specialised contexts;
- To introduce students to new and intellectually demanding areas of Urban Studies;
- To foster and develop students ability to think critically the problems in Urban Studies
- To foster students ability to carry out independent research in urban studies.
PhD (3rd Cycle)
Access to other programs
The degree of "doutor" is a final qualification.
Luís António Vicente Baptista, Joana Esteves da Cunha Leal
Length: 8 semesters. Total credits: 240 credits (60 from curricular units + 180 credits from the non teaching component). Non teaching component modalities: Thesis. Number of credits as free-elective optionals: 10 credits. The free seminar optional can be chosen among curricular units from the postgraduate training offered by the Faculty of Social Sciences and Humanities (FCSH/NOVA) and ISCTE-IUL, in other units of NOVA University of Lisbon, or other national or foreign Higher Education institutions by agreement or protocol.
Conditions of admittance
Requirements to apply to the doctoral programme in Urban Studies: a) Holders of the master degree or legal equivalent; b) Holders of the degree of graduates holding a school curriculum, and a recognized attesting capacity for the accomplishment of the PhD degree; c) Holders of a school, scientific or professional curriculum and a recognized attesting capacity for the accomplishment of the PhD degree.
The study course leading to the doctoral degree includes the completion of a doctoral program that consists of curricular unit aimed at training for research; the realization of an original thesis, designed especially for this purpose, appropriate to the branch of knowledge or expertise. The seminar curricular units type are classified on a scale of 0-20. The final classification of the PhD course is expressed by approved or not approved formulas. In case of approval, the final classification of the PhD course is expressed in the range 10-20 on a scale of 0-20, doing the arithmetic average of the marks in which the curricular units with 10 ECTS. The final classification of the thesis is expressed by formulas approved or refused by justified nominal vote with no abstentions.
|73217144||Research Methodologies in Urban Studies||10.0|
|73217145||Urban Studies Issues||10.0|
|73217143||Theories of Urban Studies||10.0|