Master in Musical Arts
1) To deepen and develop the knowledge acquired in the 1st cycle in order to develop unique applications in the field of music and technology;
2) Ability to apply knowledge to the original and innovative resolution of problems related to the study area;
3) The use of skills and coordinated management of diverse knowledge in addressing a broad scope of issues and to review them under a technical, cultural and ethical view;
4) Skills of spoken, writen and artistic expression according to the rules of the discipline, within the academic community and communication with the public;
5) Continued learning and application of new theoretical and methodological tools;
6) Ability to relate the research knowledge and skills of Musicology with new creative and interpretative practices.
Master (2nd Cycle)
Access to other programs
Access to the cycle of studies which leads to a Doctorate Degree. For the specific access conditions, consult the regulations governing the doctoral programmes at NOVA FCSH.
Isabel Maria Antunes Pires
1300 Euros/year or 2700 Euros/year (foreign students)
Length: 3 semesters. Total credits: 93 credits (60 in course units of the study programme + 33 in the non-taught component). Types of non-taught component: Dissertation, Project Work, Practical Work Experience with Report. The degree of «mestre» corresponds to the level 7 of the NQF and EQF-National Qualifications Framework/European Qualifications Framework.
1) To further develop knowledge acquired in the 1st cycle so as to develop original applications in the area of Music and Musicology; 2) Ability to apply knowledge to the original and innovative resolution of problems related to the area of study; 3) Competencies for the utilisation and coherent management of various types of knowledge in the approach to questions of a wide scope as well as the ability to evaluate these from a technical, cultural and ethical point of view; 4) Oral competencies, written competencies and competencies of artistic expression in accordance with the rules of the subject, for use not only within the context of the academic community but also within the context of communication with the general public; 5) Competencies for the continued learning and application of new theoretical and methodological tools; 6) To gain further knowledge in selected domains of Musical Arts and Musicology end new technologies; 7) Ability to relate knowledge and research competencies from Musicology to the practical competencies of musical conception and execution; 8) Ability for interdisciplinary reflection on musical expression; 9) Ability to spread scientific training in the field of music to creative and interpretive practices, as related to new technologies.
Conditions of admittance
Application and access conditions to the cycle of studies reflect the conditions established in the national legislation, namely: - to hold a licenciado degree or legal equivalent; -to hold a foreign academic degree recognized by the Scientific Council of NOVA FCSH. - to hold an academic, scientific or professional curriculum vitae recognized by the Scientific Council of NOVA FCSH. Applicants will be selected and ranked according to the criteria annually defined in the application edict.
A final grade, expressed as a number between 10 and 20 on a scale of 0 to 20 as well as its equivalent on the ECTS grading scale, is awarded for the post-graduate diploma. The final grade of the post-graduate diploma is the average, by credit, of the grades obtained in the course units in which the student obtained the 60 credits from the taught part of the Masters course. A final grade, expressed as a number between 10 and 20 on a scale of 0 to 20 as well as its equivalent on the ECTS grading scale, is awarded for the Masters degree. The final grade of the Masters degree will be the average of the final grade of the taught part of the course, weighted to 40%, and the grade awarded to the dissertation, project work or practical work experience report, weighted to 60%.
|Elective options (a)|
|722021045||Dissertation in Musical Arts||33.0|
|722021046||Work Experience with Report in Musical Arts||33.0|
|722021051||Project Work in Musical Arts||33.0||Mandatory ECTS number: 33|
|722021017||History of Music||10.0|
|722021021||Music and Thought||10.0|
|722021028||Artistic Seminar 1||10.0|
|722021034||Artistic Seminar 2||10.0|
|722021035||Artistic Seminar 3||10.0|
|722021032||Theory and Method in Musicology||10.0|