Master in Journalism
The study cycle is structured so that at the end of the course, the student demonstrates:
1. capacity to develop theoretical knowledge about the mechanisms in the journalism field.
2. know-how and ability of understanding and solving problems, in wide and multidisciplinary contexts, applying them to the development of a journalistic project, autonomously or inside an organization.
3. to understand the challenges created by new technologies and by the changes in the organizations, in media and in the journalism field.
4. depth knowledge about journalism discourses and the media languages in different platforms.
5. understanding of the processes of interaction between journalists and several social factors in diverse situations.
6. ability to clearly communicate the conclusions of his/her research before a panel of experts and non-experts.
Master (2nd Cycle)
Access to other programs
Access to the cycle of studies which leads to a Doctorate Degree. For the specific access conditions, consult the regulations governing the doctoral programmes at NOVA FCSH.
Dora dos Santos Silva
1300 Euros/year or 2700 Euros/year (foreign students)
Length: 3 semesters.
Total credits: 93 credits (60 in course units of the study programme + 33 in the non-taught component).
Types of non-taught component: Dissertation, Project Work, Practical Work Experience with Report.
Number of credits from free-elective options: 10 credits (the student can obtain 10 credits from free-elective options in course units taught at post-graduate level at FCSH/UNL, or at any other national or foreign higher education institution with bilateral agreement.)
The degree of «mestre» corresponds to the level 7 of the NQF and EQF-National Qualifications Framework/European Qualifications Framework.
1. To acquire the capacity to develop theoretical knowledge about the mechanisms of the journalism field;
2. To know how to apply the knowledge and the capacity of understanding and solving problems, in wide and multidisciplinary contexts, related with their field of study, namely by applying them to the development of a journalistic project, autonomously or inside an organization;
3. To understand the challenges created by new technologies and by the changes in the organizations, the media and the journalism field;
4. To dominate the journalism discourses and the media languages of the different platforms;
5. To acquire the knowledge that can allow the understanding of the processes of interaction between journalists and several social factors in diverse situations;
6. To be able to clearly communicate the conclusions of his/her research.
Conditions of admittance
Application and access conditions to the cycle of studies reflect the conditions established in the national legislation, namely: - to hold a licenciado degree or legal equivalent; - to hold a foreign academic degree recognized by the Scientific Council of NOVA FCSH; -to hold an academic, scientific or professional curriculum vitae recognized by the Scientific Council of NOVA FCSH. Applicants will be selected and ranked according to the criteria annually defined in the application edict.
A final grade, expressed as a number between 10 and 20 on a scale of 0 to 20 as well as its equivalent on the ECTS grading scale, is awarded for the post-graduate diploma. The final grade of the post-graduate diploma is the average, by credit, of the grades obtained in the course units in which the student obtained the 60 credits from the taught part of the Masters course. A final grade, expressed as a number between 10 and 20 on a scale of 0 to 20 as well as its equivalent on the ECTS grading scale, is awarded for the Masters degree. The final grade of the Masters degree will be the average of the final grade of the taught part of the course, weighted to 40%, and the grade awarded to the dissertation, project work or work experience with report.
|Opções Condicionadas (a)|
|722011135||History and Theories of Journalism||10.0|
|722011136||Specialised Journalism I||10.0|
|722011137||Specialised Journalism II||10.0|
|722011066||New Narratives in the Media||10.0|
|722011076||Contemporary Issues in Journalism||10.0||Mandatory ECTS number: 50|
|Opções Condicionadas (b)|
|722011139||Dissertation in Journalism||33.0|
|722011048||Work Experience with Report in Journalism||33.0|
|722011089||Project Work in Journalism||33.0||Mandatory ECTS number: 33|