French and German Studies
1) To acquire methodological tools for research and analysis in order to develop learning, critical choice and reflective skills which allow appropriate application of knowledge to practical situations;
2) To acquire basic skills in the area of human sciences thus enabling lifelong learning of theoretical and practical knowledge of foreign languages with a high degree of autonomy;
3) To develop the ability to collect, select and interpret relevant textual and non-textual information, enabling principled decisions which take into account the relevant social, academic and ethical aspects associated to the study of new languages, literatures and cultures;
4) To develop a theoretical and practical knowledge of languages, literatures and cultures set in their national historical contexts;
5) To develop communicative competence in foreign languages, and in the mother tongue, encouraging plurilingualism and interculturality;
6) To develop the ability to work autonomously in the interdisciplinary field of literary, culture and language studies;
7) To develop skills in the application of new technologies to literary, cultural and language sciences.
Access to other programs
Completion of the Licenciatura (1st cycle) degree allows the holder to apply for Masters programmes (2nd Cycle), or other post-graduate courses including those which do not confer a degree.
Maria Zulmira Bandarra de Sousa Verissimo Castanheira, Teresa Maria Dimas Botelho da Silva, Rogério Miguel do Deserto Rodrigues de Puga
697 Euros/year or 3500 Euros/year (foreign students)
Each student must obtain 180 credits: credits from compulsory courses of the study programme, credits from restricted options and credits from free options. Each semester the student may not enrol in more than 30 credits and must respect any pre-requisites which have been set. At the beginning of each semester, the student is advised as to which courses are the most appropriate for their academic pathway and which they should take.
Legal framework/Study programme - Aviso n.º 13184/2016, DR, 2ª série, nº 206, de 26 de outubro de 2016.
The degree of licenciado corresponds to the level 6 of the NQF and EQF-National Qualifications Framework/European Qualifications Framework.
This path is an option of
Conditions of admittance
Students may be admitted to Higher Education through the National Competition for Access to Higher Education, special competitions/regimes and entry systems, re-enrolment systems, course changes and transfers. To apply for access to higher education through the National Competition, students must fulfill the requirements described in DGES/Access to Higher Education. More info at http://www.dges.gov.pt/guias/?plid=593 For more information about International Students please visit https://www.fcsh.unl.pt/internacional/estatuto-de-estudante-internacional/
Students at FCSH are evaluated based on the work developed over a semester, based on class participation, presentation of written and oral tests and examinations. The result obtained either by continuous assessment or evaluation of the tests is expressed on a scale of 0 to 20. To be approved, students must have at least 10 points to pass, however, who fail have a second chance to repeat the exams. Repeat exam: Has access any student of 1st or 2nd cycle who has obtained the minimum grade of eight values per rounding in the final grade of the curricular unit. SPECIAL PROCEDURES FOR EVALUATION: - Worker-Student - Students with the status of top athletes - Mothers and fathers students - Associative leaders - Military - Other special arrangements provided legally. Students with special needs can benefit from teaching and learning conditions to meet their needs.
|711101074||Introduction to Cultural Studies||6.0|
|711091111||Introduction to Literary Studies||6.0|
|711131043||Introduction to Language Sciences||6.0|
|Optional Curricular Units 1|
|711101084||German B2.3||6.0||Mandatory ECTS number: 36|
|Optional Curricular Units 2|
|711111087||French Seminar||12.0||Mandatory ECTS number: 12|
|Optional Curricular Units 3|
|711101072||19th Century German Literature||6.0|
|711101073||18th Century German Literature||6.0|
|711101071||20th Century German Literature||6.0|
|01101222||Contemporary French Literature||6.0|
|01101233||19th Century French Literature||6.0|
|01101244||18th Century French Literature||6.0|
|711111084||French Literature (16th and 17th Century)||6.0|
|01101256||Medieval French Literature||6.0|
|711111108||Francophone Literature||6.0||Mandatory ECTS number: 30|
|Optional Curricular Units 4|
|01101199||19th Century German Culture||6.0|
|711101059||Cultura Alemã do Século XVIII||6.0|
|01101200||20th Century German Culture||6.0|
|711111088||19th Century French Culture||6.0|
|711111109||France in the 20th Century||6.0|
|711101058||History of Germany||6.0|
|711111086||Literature and Other Arts||6.0|
|711101064||German Media||6.0||Mandatory ECTS number: 18|
|Optional Curricular Units 5|
|711111130||French C1.2||6.0||Mandatory ECTS number: 36|