At the end of the course students should be prepared to access the fundamental concepts used in the contemporary discussions on ethics. They should be also apt to argue in favour or against the main theories and stances in ethics regarding the solution of central ethical issues.
António José Duque da Silva Marques
Weekly - 4
Total - 168
• Aristóteles (384-322 a. C.), Ética a Nicómaco, trad. António Caeiro, Lisboa: Quetzal, 2004
• The Nichomachean Ethics, trad. David Ross, Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1980.
• David Hume, A Treatise of Human Nature (1739) London: Penguin Books, 1969.
• David Hume, Tratado da Natureza Humana, trad. Maria B. Nizza da Silva, J. Paulo Monteiro, Lisboa: Gulbenkian, 1999
• I. Kant, Groundwork of the Metaphysics of Morals – A German-English Edition (1785), trad. Mary Gregor and Jens Tinmermann, Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 2011.
• I. Kant, Fundamentação da Metafísica dos Costumes, Lisboa: Ed. 70, trad. Paulo Quintela, 2011
• John Stuart Mill (1859), On Liberty, London: Penguin Books, 1974
The classes will be based on the analysis and discussion of some fundamental texts and authors in classical ethics as weel as in contemporary authors.
Programs where the course is taught: