1. Providing concepts and knowledge;
2. Developing critical and analytical skills;
3. Practicing discussion and communication skills.
Ana Isabel Costa Febrero de Queiroz
Weekly - 4
Total - 168
Marten, Gerald A. Human Ecology. Basic concepts for sustainable development. Earthscan, 2001.
Piccolo, John J. «Intrinsic Values in Nature: Objective Good or Simply Half of an Unhelpful Dichotomy?» Journal for Nature Conservation 37 (Junho de 2017): 8–11. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jnc.2017.02.007.
Soromenho-Marques, Viriato. «Cidadania e Ambiente». Em Educação Hoje. Enciclopédia dos Pais. Viver a Cidadania, 220–21. Lisboa: Lexicultural, 2001.
Steiner, Frederick. Human Ecology. How Nature and Culture shape our world. Washington, D. C.: Island Press, 2016.
Varandas, M.J. Ambiente. Uma questão de ética. Lisboa: Esfera do Caos, 2009.
Waters, Rachel. «Rethinking the United Nations’ concept of sustainability». The Ecological Citizen 1, n. 1 (2017): 29–30.
The course includes presentation classes (by the teacher), joint reflections/discussions of the program's themes, and a final seminar for the presentation of the group working papers.At the same time that concepts are critically presented, examples of current and past problems are called up. Students are confronted with technical-scientific and political-legislative documentation.
Evaluation Methodologies - The evaluation comprises a component of continuous participation in class(30%), a written test(40%), and a group working paper (20% written component and 10% oral component ).(30%)
1) Understanding socio-ecological dynamics in space and time;
2) Knowing about ethical principles and environmental values;
3) Discussing the concept of Sustainable Development, and its evolution;
4) Identifying the Sustainable Development Goals (2015-2030) and assessing their application at different spatial scales;
5) Recognizing the diversity of disciplinary approaches and their application in the social, economic and environmental scope;
6) Developing critical thinking about different social behaviors;
7) Analyzing sustainable projects.l
Programs where the course is taught: