Licenciatura in History
1) To have a critical view of the human past together with an understanding of how this conditions the present and the future as well as our perception of both;
2) To reveal an understanding of points of view resulting from different historical antecedents in different cultural and geographical contexts;
3) To be aware of how historical interests, categories and problems alter with time and how historiographical debate is linked to the economic, social, political and cultural interests of each age;
4) To be familiar with the different periods in the History of Portugal;
5) To have general knowledge of the methods, techniques and topics relating to the study of the main periods into which History is normally divided from Pre-history to the present day;
6) To know how to integrate the history of Portugal into a comparative perspective with other spatial and cultural areas;
7) To know how to identify, select and collect, in accordance with the rules of the discipline, a wide variety of sources of information (bibliography, documents, oral and iconographic testimony among others) and to use them critically;
8) To be able to apply acquired knowledge and the ability to understand to a historical topic or to seek an understanding of current world issues;
9) To be able to present both in writing and orally the knowledge acquired using correct History terminology and demonstrating argumentative skills.
Bachelor (1st Cycle)
Access to other programs
Completion of the Licenciatura (1st cycle) degree allows the holder to apply for Masters programmes (2nd Cycle), or other post-graduate courses including those which do not confer a degree.
Isabel Cristina Gomes de Almeida, Paulo Jorge Chalante Azevedo Fernandes, João Luís da Costa Campos Vieira Lisboa
697 Euros/year or 3500 Euros/year (foreign students)
Each student must obtain 180 credits: 132 credits from compulsory courses of the study programme, 18 credits from restricted options and 30 credits from free options or a Minor from another academic area. Each semester the student may not enrol in more than 30 credits and must respect any pre-requisites which have been set. At the beginning of each semester, the student is advised as to which courses are the most appropriate for their academic pathway and which they should take.
Legal framework/Study programme - Aviso n.º 14148/2016, DR, 2ª série, n.º 219, de 15 de novembro de 2016.
The degree of licenciado corresponds to the level 6 of the NQF and EQF-National Qualifications Framework/European Qualifications Framework.
Conditions of admittance
Students may be admitted to Higher Education through the National Competition for Access to Higher Education, special competitions/regimes and entry systems, re-enrolment systems, course changes and transfers. To apply for access to higher education through the National Competition, students must fulfill the requirements described in DGES/Access to Higher Education. More info at http://www.dges.gov.pt/guias/?plid=593 For more information about International Students please visit https://www.fcsh.unl.pt/internacional/estatuto-de-estudante-internacional/
Students at FCSH are evaluated based on the work developed over a semester, based on class participation, presentation of written and oral tests and examinations. The result obtained either by continuous assessment or evaluation of the tests is expressed on a scale of 0 to 20. To be approved, students must have at least 10 points to pass, however, who fail have a second chance to repeat the exams. Repeat exam: Has access any student of 1st or 2nd cycle who has obtained the minimum grade of eight values per rounding in the final grade of the curricular unit. SPECIAL PROCEDURES FOR EVALUATION: - Worker-Student - Students with the status of top athletes - Mothers and fathers students - Associative leaders - Military - Other special arrangements provided legally. Students with special needs can benefit from teaching and learning conditions to meet their needs.
|Optional Curricular Units|
|711051117||History of Medieval Culture and Mentalities||6.0|
|711051144||History of China||6.0|
|711051147||History of War in the Middle Ages||6.0|
|01101041||History of al-Andalus||6.0|
|711051151||History of Contemporary Brazil||6.0|
|711051152||The History of the Printed Book||6.0|
|711051154||History of Fascisms||6.0|
|711051156||History of the Portuguese in Asia||6.0|
|01101059||History and Civilization of Islam||6.0|
|711051142||Introduction to Egyptian Hieroglyphic||6.0|
|711051107||Palaeography and Diplomatics||6.0||Mandatory ECTS number: 18|