PhD in History
- Ability to analyze, evaluate and synthesize new and complex ideas in general and in particular in the field of history and its specialized fields;
- Capacity for in-depth study of theoretical and methodological knowledge and practices essential to the development of original research in their speciality which will enable the students actively contribute to the broadening of knowledge, whilst conforming themselves to the requirements imposed by the best standards of academic quality and integrity in their special field;
- Ability to produce a research essay whose results are publishable, at the national and international level;
- Capacity to communicate the results of their research in History to their peers, in the academic community, and to the general public;
- Ability to produce and develop work and original research projects, individually or in teams, about History, at national and international level;
PhD (3rd Cycle)
Access to other programs
The degree of "doutor" is a final qualification.
Maria Fernanda Fernandes Garcia Rollo
1400 Euros/year or 2500 Euros/year (foreign students)
Length: 8 semesters. Total credits: 240 credits (60 from curricular units + 180 credits from the non teaching component). Non teaching component modalities: Thesis. Number of credits as free-elective optionals: 10 credits. The free seminar optional can be chosen among curricular units from the postgraduate training offered by the Faculty of Social Sciences and Humanities (FCSH-UNL), in other units of NOVA University of Lisbon, or other national or foreign Higher Education institutions under agreement or protocol.
The degree of doutor corresponds to the level 8 of the NQF and EQF-National Qualifications Framework/European Qualifications Framework.
Conditions of admittance
Applicants are ranked according to the score obtained in the selection process, based on individual merit. Criteria: a) Classifications / grades of masters degree or legal equivalent (any scientific area); b) Academic, scientific and professional curriculum vitae; c) Letter of intents, detailing the reasons to follow the study program and a justified proposal of the topic that like to develop in thesis. The jury reserves the right to call the applicants for an interview to clarify some parameters. The minimum classification is 14 values resulting from the application of the previous criteria.
The cycle of studies leading to the degree of Doutoramento (Doctorate) includes following a doctoral programme that consists of course units aimed at providing training to do research, and the submission of an original doctoral thesis especially written for the purpose and which is appropriate to the nature of the branch of knowledge or speciality and which contributes to expanding the boundaries of knowledge. Grades for the seminar-type course units are awarded using a numerical scale ranging from 0 to 20. The final grade awarded to the doctoral course is expressed by Approved or Not Approved. When a candidate is awarded an Approved classification, the final grade of the doctoral course is expressed as a number between 10 and 20, on a scale of 0 to 20, and is the mathematical average of the grades obtained, in which the course units with 10 ECTS have a weighting of 1 while the final thesis has a weighting of 2. The research project is defended in a public defence held at the end of the semester in which the student concludes the doctoral course. It is assessed by a jury comprising 3 members. The thesis is awarded a classification of Approved or Refused through a justified nominal vote with no abstentions permitted; if the thesis is approved, the jury then votes on a grade which may be Good, Good with Distinction or Very Good. The final qualification is awarded under the terms of Article 36, nº 2 of Decree-Law 74/2006, of 24 March, altered by Decree-Law n.º 107/2008, of 25 June, 230/2009, of 14 September, 115/2013, of 7 August, 63/2016, of 13 September, 65/2018, of 16 August.
- Specialisation in Contemporary History
- Specialisation in Arqueology
- Especialidade em Pré-história
- Especialidade em História Moderna
- Especialidade em História Medieval
- Especialidade em História dos Descobrimentos e da Expansão Portuguesa
- Especialidade em História Antiga
- Especialidade em Arquivística Histórica