Art Market and Law
- Acquire knowledge about the legal framework of cultural heritage;
- Identify ways of protecting cultural assets;
- Understand the legal status of movable cultural assets, and collections;
- Understand to what extent the State's intervention affects the art market, namely, with regard to the right of preference and the international circulation of cultural goods;
- Develop skills to identify legal problems related to the art market, namely, in the field of taxation, copyright, and the status of art traders.
João José Valente Martins Claro
Weekly - Available soon
Total - 280
The prerequisites are those defined in the application notice.
MIRANDA, Jorge; CLARO, João Martins; ALMEIDA, Marta Tavares de (coord.); Direito do Património Cultural, INA, Oeiras, 1996.
RAMOS, José Luís; CLARO, João Martins (coord.), Novos Estudos de Direito do Património Cultural, Tomo I e II, Petrony, Lisboa, 2018 e 2019.
NABAIS, José Casalta, Introdução ao Direito do Património Cultural, 2.a ed., Almedina, Coimbra, 2010.
GOMES, Carla Amado; RAMOS, José Luis Bonifácio (coord.), Direito da Cultura e do Património Cultural, AAFDL, Lisboa, 2011.
FOLQUE, André (Coord), O Provedor de Justiça: Património e Direitos Culturais, Provedor de Justiça – Divisão de Documentação, Lisboa, 2013. SILVA, Vasco Pereira da, A Cultura a que Tenho Direito. Direitos Fundamentais e Cultura, Almedina, Coimbra, 2007.
FERRY-MACCARIO, Nicole; SILHOL, Olivier, Droit de l’art, 2.a ed., Ellipses, Paris, 2014.
GIORGINI, Giulio Cesare, PERES, Sophie (coord.), Droit et marchp de l’art en Europe. Régulation et normalisation du risque, Bruylant, Brux. 2015.
Theoretical and practical classes. Possibility of invitations to experts on certain topics. A percentage of the classes to be defined by the teacher can be taught remotely, by e-learnig.
The evaluation assessment is carried out through the qualitative assessment of the participation in the sessions and a final examination.(100%)
- Introduction to the legal regime of cultural heritage;
- The Basic Law for Cultural Heritage and the Decree-Laws for development;
- International Law and Community Law on Cultural Heritage;
- Ways of protecting cultural assets;
- Freedom of expression and artistic creation;
- The market value of cultural goods;
- The purchase and sale of cultural goods;
- The right of first refusal on cultural goods;
- The assignment and deposit of cultural goods;
- Insurance of cultural goods;
- Art and copyright;
- Taxation of the art market;
- The international circulation of cultural goods;
- Museums and illicit trafficking in works of art;
- Legal and ethical rules of merchants, antique dealers and auctioneers.
Programs where the course is taught: