The Art Appraisal
- Understand the functioning of the national and international art market, from the perspective of the expert appraisal and the evaluation of artworks;
- Distinguish appraisal from evaluating an artwork;
- Analyze the emergence of antiques and the market for artworks as an economic sector from the change of an object-function into an object-desire, underlining the way it is evalued;
- Identify types and function of objects, styles and periods, materials and techniques, quality, articulating this knowledge with the current market value.
Sara Patrícia Caetano de Sousa e Andrade
Weekly - Available soon
Total - 280
The prerequisites are those defined in the application notice.
ADAM, Georgina – The Big Bucks, The Explosion of the Art Market in the 21st Century. Londres: Lund Humphries; New edition, 2014.
BRUNEAU, Yves, HERVOUËT, François, HERVOUËT, Nicole – La porcelaine des compagnies des Indes à décor occidental. Paris: Flammarion, 1986.
CAGIGAL E SILVA, M.M. de – A Arte Indo-portuguesa. Lisboa: Edições Excelsior, 1966.
Casa-Museu Dr. Anastácio Gonçalves: pintura, porcelana, mobiliário, ourivesaria, têxteis, vitrais / design Luís Chimeno Garrido; fotografias José Pessoa. [Lisboa]: C.M.D.A.G., 2000.
China e Islão: gramáticas decorativas / org. Casa-Museu Dr. Anastácio Gonçalves; introd. Maria Margarida Marques Matias. Lisboa: C.M.D.A.G., 1992.
D'OREY, Leonor – Cinco Séculos de Joalharia. Lisboa: Museu Nacional de Arte Antiga, 1995.
D'OREY, Leonor – A Colecção de Ourivesaria da Fundação Ricardo Espírito Santo Silva. Lisboa: 1998.
FERNÁNDEZ, Alejandro – Enciclopédia de la Plata Española y Virreinal Americana. Madrid: Edición de los Autores, 1984.
Theoretical and practical classes with audio-visuals, whenever possible in the presence of objects or works of art in constant dialogue / debate between students and teachers. Experts on some of the topics will be invited. Study visits to museum houses will be organized (Anastácio Gonçalves, FRESS); Antiques (VOC, Capucho); a collector / buyer will be contacted who can receive the group at home; Antiques Fair. A percentage of the classes to be defined by the teacher can be taught remotely, by e-learnig.
Writing of final project, with analysis of objects, simulating a collection at auction, with a view to: cataloging, research, evaluation and preparation of a catalog for sale, duly justified and documented. Qualitative evaluation of oral participation in classes.(100%)
- The history, context and evolution of the practice of evaluating artworks;
- Expertise and Evaluation of artworks: definitions and processes. Practical cases;
- Typologies of most frequent pieces at auction: analysis of the “portuguese house” and the specificity of a taste;
- Decorative Arts and Fine Arts: the relationship between changing taste and fluctuating market values;
- Collections on the market: valuing works of art and antiques;
- Profile and motivations of the buyer and the collector;
- Techniques in the analysis of the object: authenticity, state of conservation and counterfeiting. Practical cases;
- Expertise and Evaluate - examine types of objects:
- Goldsmiths and Jewelers;
- European and Eastern porcelain and earthenware;
- European and Oriental furniture;
- Painting, Sculpture and Imaginary.
Programs where the course is taught: