Fairs and biennale: Art Tours
- To identify the main periodic occurrences in the art world;
- To observe the importance of the participation of artists in international events for the development of their careers and their quotations in the art market;
- To be aware of the conditions of the international market where private and institutional collections are formed.
Adelaide Manuela da Costa Duarte
Weekly - Available soon
Total - 280
The prerequisites are those defined in the application notice.
- ADAM, Georgina, Big Bucks: The Explosion of the Art Market in the 21st Century, Lund Humphries, 2014;
- ALTSHULER, Bruce, Biennials and Beyond. Exhibitions that Made Art History: 1962-2002, Phaidon, 2013;
- Filipovic, Elena; van Hal, Marieke; Ovstebo Solveig (eds.) The Biennial Reader. Bergen: Hadje Cantz, 2010;
- GREENBERG, Reese, et. al., Thinking About Exhibitions, Taylor & Francis e-Library, 2005;
- OBRIST, Hans Ulrich, Ways of Curating, Faber and Faber, 2014;
- VELTHIUS, Olav, Talking Prices. Symbolic Meanings of Prices on the Market for Contemporary Art, Princeton University Press, 2005.
Visit of major events in the art world (fairs and biennials). A percentage of the classes to be defined by the teacher can be taught remotely, by e-learnig.
The evaluation assessment is held out from the final projects that will be presented and through the qualitative evaluation of participation in the visits.(100%)
Fieldwork consists on a visit and on a critical study of major events in the art world. In Switzerland, Art Basel is considered the most important contemporary art fair in the world, with extensions in Miami and Hong Kong; in London, the Frieze Art Fair contributes to boosting the art market in one of the most creative cities in this field; in Spain, ARCOmadrid allows us to observe the impact that the market and collecting practices have, above all, on the Iberian Peninsula. Periodically, biennials take place. Every two years, the Venice Biennale takes place, a motive to visit the oldest contemporary art biennial and to analyze national participation in that space. Every five years, it is the turn of Documenta de Kassel, the most important biennial in this typology. The content of the UC is prepared according to the calendar of these events, which can be adapted each year to the existing offer.
Programs where the course is taught: