Transport and Mobility
a) To understand the inter-relations between the development of transport systems and spatial organization;
b) To develop theoretical and practical knowledge about transport systems and urban mobility;
c) To develop critical thinking about problems related to urban transport and mobility;
d) To master essential methods and techniques for participation and elaboration of studies and plans for transport and mobility;
e) To conceptualize solutions concerning the organization of transport systems and urban mobility.
João Alberto Figueira de Sousa
Weekly - 3
Total - 280
BenAvica, M. (ed) (1993). Transport Policy. Oxford: Butterworth-Heinemann Ltd.
IDAE, PMUS (2006). Guía práctica para la elaboración e implantación de planes de movilidad urbana sostenible. Madrid: Ministerio de Industria, Turismo y Comercio.
Rabinovitch, J. & Leitman, J. (1996). Urban Planning in Curitiba. Scientific American Magazine. 8 p.
Rodrigue, J.P., Comtois, C., Slack, B. (2006). The Geography of Transport Systems. New York: Routledge.
Vuchic, V. R. (2005). Urban Transit: Operations, Planning and Economics. New Jersey: Wiley.
- Theoretical Classes (50%): Expositive and Participative Classes (debate);
- Practical classes (50%): presentation and discussion of case studies, discussions and application of methodologies and techniques.
Individual research based on resolving practical cases (max. 20 pages)(30%), Oral presentation during a class dedicated to investigation project on a chosen theme(20%), Recommended readings with subsequent evaluation of the materials through a written test(50%)
1) Introduction: the problem of mobility
2) Fundamental concepts of the subject
3) Interaction: transport, land use and environment
4) Technical characteristics of networks and transport modes
5) Legal framework of transport
6) The challenges of urban mobility
7) Transport policies and parking
8) The logistics and freight transport
9) Transportation studies and Mobility Plans
10) Methodologies and techniques applied in the design, planning and operation of transportation systems.
Programs where the course is taught: