Master in Teaching of English in Primary Education
- To teach English autonomously, following a syllabus, in an investigative, reflective and life long training professional perspective.
- To develop the planning, implementation and assessment of innovative pedagogical practices.
- To develop the knowledge of students in a given teaching context, their similarities and differences, in particular their needs, behaviour, motivation and learning levels.
- To develop an informed and critical reflection about the educational context of teaching English in initial schooling years.
- To improve the scientific, technological, ethical, and (inter)cultural knowledge and their practical use.
- To autonomously prepare materials that respond to the specific student needs promoting genuine communicative language use.
Master (2nd Cycle)
Access to other programs
Completion of the Masters degree allows the holder to apply for the cycle of studies which leads to a Doctorate Degree. For the specific access requirements for doctoral programmes, consult the regulations governing the doctoral programmes at FCSH/NOVA.
Carolyn Elizabeth Leslie, Rogério Miguel do Deserto Rodrigues de Puga
Length: 3 semesters. Total credits: 90 credits (58 in course units of the study programme + 32 in the non-taught component).
To obtain the masters degree, the student must realize in accordance with Decree-Law 79/2014, 14th May, an introduction to professional practice which are assigned 32 credits (28 ECTS match Supervised Teaching Practice I and Supervised Teaching Practice II and 4 ECTS to the Seminar of Supervised Teaching Practice I and Seminar of Supervised Teaching Practice II).
The degree of mestre corresponds to the level 7 of the NQF and EQF-National Qualifications Framework/European Qualifications Framework.
a) Understand the guidelines of national education policy and its evolution;
b) Understand the pedagogical, didactic and methodological foundations of educational research;
c) Apply pedagogical, didactic and methodological knowledge to the definition, management and evaluation of curricular plans and pedagogical practices;
d) Adapt pedagogical and didactic practices to the specificities of disciplinary areas, levels of education; students and school environments, including adaptation to multicultural contexts;
e) Mobilize and apply the acquired scientific, cultural, pedagogical and didactic knowledge in the production of teaching-learning activities and evaluation appropriate to programmed objectives, as well as the specific features of the students and school environments;
f) To reflect on the ethical, social and cultural implications of the profession, in the context of the problems of the contemporary world and formation for citizenship;
g) Develop research skills for professional development.
Conditions of admittance
Application and access conditions to the cycle of studies reflect the conditions established in the national legislation, namely: - to hold a licenciado degree or legal equivalent; - to hold a foreign academic degree recognized by the Scientific Council of NOVA FCSH; -to hold an academic, scientific or professional curriculum vitae recognized by the Scientific Council of NOVA FCSH; - to hold, at least, 80 to 100 credits in English. Applicants will be selected and ranked according to the criteria annually defined in the application edict.
1) No obligatory precedences for attending the programs courses. 2) Knowledge evalutation in the courses is individual and takes place at the end of each semester. The following tools will be considered: final oral and/or written assignments, papers or other assessment tools, in conditions to be agreed upon with each lecturer. The result of the evaluation is expressed in a mark from 0 to 20. 3) Approval in a course requires a final grade equal to or above 10. 4) For the evaluation of the Supervised Teaching Practice, please consult FCSH/NOVAs relevant regulations.
|722131103||Language Development in Children||10.0|
|722160093||Teaching English to Young Learners||18.0|
|722171272||Language and Intercultural Education||5.0|
|722160091||Supervised Teaching Practice I||10.0|
|722160092||Supervised Teaching Practice II||18.0|
|722160089||Monitoring Seminar of Supervised Teaching Practice I||2.0|
|722160090||Monitoring Seminar of Supervised Teaching Practice II||2.0|
|722171258||Education Systems and School Cultures||5.0|
|Opções Condicionadas (a)|
|722121051||Anglo-Portuguese Cultural Crossings||10.0|
|722121052||British cultural identities||10.0|
|722121053||American Representations: identity, culture and arts||10.0||Mandatory ECTS number: 10|