This curricular unit aims to sensitize students to the importance of entrepreneurship, innovation, and experimentation, as well as the development of social skills and entrepreneurship techniques for innovative and technological projects. The UC aims to motivate and prepare students to undertake innovative projects in companies or develop technology-based startups.
António Carlos Bárbara Grilo
Weekly - 2
Total - 48
Paul Burns, (2010), "Entrepreneurship and Small Business: Start-up, Growth and Maturity", Palgrave Macmillan, 3rd Ed.
Shriberg, A. & Shriberg (2010), "Practicing Leadership: Principles and Applications", John Wiley & Sons, 4th Ed., USA.
Spinelli, S. & Rob Adams (2012). “New Venture Creation: Entrepreneurship for the 21st Century”. McGraw-Hill Higher Education; 9 Ed.
Thomas H. Byers, Richard C. Dorf, Andrew Nelson (2010) “Technology Ventures: From Idea to Enterprise”, 3rd Ed., McGraw-Hill Higher Education
To support students it will be made available severla links, blogs and videos on the various subjects presented.
Considering the available time (5 weeks), the teaching methodology praises that, in each week the subjects presented are discussed and worked (in groups), which had been defined in the learning objectives.
In the first week, the subjects introduced to students are related with entrepreneurial strategic issues, generation of ideas, leadership and work team management; as a result, the students will have to organize their teams to be able to define the problem. Also in the 1st week, the subjects presented will allow the student to pursuit its project; they have to consider different options for the problem identified in the previous week. In the 2nd week, the market related issues are approached, and the students are asked to build a marketing plan. Also in the 2nd week, financial issues are addressed, making it possible to accomplish a business plan. In the last week, the process of how to expose the idea to potential stakeholders is addressed; the students are required to present and argue their project in an elevator pitch.
This methodology gives priority to:
1) the presentation of practical and successful cases;
2) the promotion of soft skills, namely, in what concerns to the development of critical thinking, the defense of ideas and arguments based on technical-scientific data, to the tolerance and capacity of dealing with conflicts in adverse and stressful situations.
3) the participation of the students in practical works and assessments and its presentation.
This course is directed to students from the 4th and 5th years of the "Mestrado integrado" and students from the 2nd cycle (mestrado).
The program was design for a duration of 3 weeks, with a total of 3 ECTS.
Classes are based in an exposition methodology. Students will be asked to apply their skills in the creation and development of an idea, regarding a new product or a new business.
Students evaluation is based on the development and presentation of an idea/project in an elevator pitch, and its report. The work should be developed in teams of 4-5 members. The presentation should account for 45%, the report 40% and the video about the product 15% of the final score.
2. Definition of the idea and development of the solution;
3. Proposal of Value and Business Model;
4. Market Analysis and Marketing Plan;
6. Study of Financial Flows;
7. Development plan;
8. Implementation and financing.
Programs where the course is taught:
- Big Data Analytics and Engineering
- Actuarial Science, Statistics and Operations Research
- Master in Biomaterials and Nanomedicine
- Biochemistry for Health
- Master in Environmental Engineering
- Civil Engineering (Structures and Geotechnics)
- Renewable Energy Engineering
- Master in Materials Engineering
- Master in Micro and Nanotechnology Engineering
- Master in Industrial Engineering and Management
- Master in Electrical and Computer Engineering
- Master in Engineering Physics
- Geological Engineering
- Master in Computer Science and Engineering
- Master in Mechanical Engineering
- Master in Chemical and Biological Engineering
- Specialization in Conservation Sciences
- Specialization in Theory, History and Techniques
- Molecular Genetics and Biomedicine
- Actuarial Mathematics
- Financial Mathematics
- Pure Mathematics
- Advanced Materials Innovative Recycling
- Multi-Omics for Life and Health Sciences
- Construction Profile
- Perfil de Engenharia de Sistemas Ambientais
- Perfil de Engenharia Sanitária
- Structures Profile
- Geotechnics Profile
- Bioorganic Chemistry
- No Profile
- Biosystems Simulation for Life and Health Sciences
- Food Technology and Safety
- Agro-Industrial Production and Processing Technologies