Air Conditioning and Refrigeration
José Fernando de Almeida Dias
Weekly - 4
Total - 84
For the discipline of Climatization and Refrigeration it is supposed a strong domain of subjects learned in the disciplines of Applied Thermodynamics, Fluid Dynamics I and II, and Heat Transmission.
- Acondicionamiento del Aire y Refrigeracion – Carlo Pizzetti – Interciencia
- Manual de Aire Acondicionado – Carrier - Marcombo, Barcelona
- Climatização em Edifícios – A.C. Piedade; A.M. Ro-drigues; L.F. Roriz – Orion
- Industrial Refrigeration: principles, design and applications – P. Koelet – MacMillan
- Installations Frigorifiques – P.J. Rapin; P. Jacquard – PYC Edition
- Princípios de Refrigeração – R.J. Dossat – Hemus
- El Empleo del Frio en la Industria de la Alimentation – Rudolf Plank – Reverte
PowerPoints of the classes – available in the course page of CLIP.
The knowledge assessment involves the realization of a AVAC project, individual work to be developed during the classes.
1- Report of the individual AVAC project developed during the classes, to be delivered before the last week of classes.
2- Two mid-term evaluations of project progress.
3- Oral presentation of the project, held in seminar, in the last week of classes.
The final grade is individual and is given by:
Final Grade = (0.6 × project) + (0.2 × project progress status) + (0.2 × oral presentation)
Students who have not been successful during the semester may submit the redesigned project before the last week of the exam season. In these cases the final grade is still given by the previous formula.
Air conditioning: The need of air conditioning. Comfort conditions. Climate and outside conditions. Design conditions. Thermal charges; solar and others. Cooling and heating loads. The air conditioning processes. The air conditioning plants. Cooler coils, condensers and cooling towers. Air ducts and fan performance. Filters.
Refrigeration: Fundamentals of refrigeration plants. Simple and multiple compression refrigeration plants. Perishable products and its conservation: conservation temperature and speed of freezing. The main methods of fast freezing, conservation of cooled and frozen products. General aspects of the construction of refrigerating chambers.
Programs where the course is taught: