Computational Fluid Mechanics
It is intended that the students acquire: the fundamentals of numerical methods for the solution of Navier-Stokes equations, the perception of how the commercial and open-source computer codes for computational fluid dynamics work, realize their potential and limitations; the computational practice that will allows to solve concrete problems of Fluid Mechanics in any field of engineering, particularly in mechanical engineering; and the ability to evaluate the solutions.
José Manuel Paixão Conde, Moisés Gonçalves de Brito
Weekly - 4
Total - 62
It is supposed a strong domain of subjects learned in the courses: Numerical Analysis, Introduction to Computers and Programming, Fluid Dynamics I and II and Heat Transfer.
- H. Versteeg e W. Malalasekra. An Introduction to Computational Fluid Dynamics: The Finite Volume Method. Prentice Hall, 2nd Ed., 2007.
- J.H. Ferziger e M. Peric. Computational Methods for Fluid Dynamics. Springer Verlag, 3rd Ed., 2002.
- J. D. Anderson. Computational Fluid Dynamics: The Basics with Applications. McGraw-Hill, Inc., 1995.
- C. Hirsch. Numerical Computation of Internal and external flows: The Fundamentals of Computational Fluid Dynamics. Elsevier, 2nd Ed., 1989.
Lectures and problem solving sessions.
Final grade = 0.2 x (project 1) + 0.3 x (project 2) + 0.5 x (final project)
Relevant dates are provide in classes.
Penalty for delays in sending reports: 1 value for delay of up to 30 min; 2 values for a delay between 30 min and one hour; delays beyond one hour are not tolerated.
- Introduction to CFD
- Fundamental fluid flow governing equations and initial and boundary conditions
- Finite volume methods: spatial and temporal discretization
- Application to problems of pure diffusion, pure convection, convection-diffusion, and Navier-Stokes
- Turbulence in fluids
- Numerical modelling of turbulent flows
- Resolution algorithms
- Mesh discretization of the domain
- Uncertainty associated with CFD simulations
- Commercial and opensource CFD codes
- Pre- and post-processing of results
Programs where the course is taught: