Electronics for Micro-systems
This course aims to reinforce an advanced knowledge in analysis and design of electronics systems and micro-systems for smart sensors and actuators nodes, covering both hardware and software components. This knowledge has to cover not only classical approaches but also has to include more recent and state-of-the-art configurations, demanding original and critical thinking, namely on smart sensing and actuating which is the modern basis of the internet of thigs (IoT).
- The student acquires the knowledge on modern reconfigurable electronic systems and their internal constitutions
- The student acquires skill and capacity of cross evaluating information coming from different sources.
- The student will also have to develop skills to work with the available circuit design frameworks, mathematical software and market consulting of available SOC and ICs.
- The students will develop the skill to solve problems and to address a complete project design.
João Pedro Abreu de Oliveira
Weekly - 6
Total - 56
- B. Razavi, “Fundamentals of Microelectronics, 2nd Edition”, John Wiley & Sons Inc, 2013
- A. Hambley, “Electrical Engineering: Principles & Applications, 7th Edition”, Pearson,2018
- D. Serpanos, M. Wolf, “Internet-of-Things (IoT) Systems”, Springer International Publishing, 2018
- C. BellMicro, “Python for the Internet of Things”, Apress, 2017
- J. Khan, M. Yuce, “Internet of Things (IoT): Systems and Applications”, CRC press, 2019
Problem Series (or quiz) individual 1: S1 : 10%
Problem Series (or quiz) individual 2: S2 : 10%
LAB 1 (individual) LAB1 : 15%
LAB 2 (individual) LAB2 : 15%
Project (group) PROJ : 50%
Final Mark = (S1+S2)*10% + (LAB1+LAB2)*15% + PROJ * 50%
- Introduction to electronic systems and micro-systems: objectives, applications and specifications; architectures; the internet of things (IoT).
- Signals and signal processing: signal types and main processing functions, analog versus digital.
- Design tools: simulation, development platforms and IDE, design of PCB boards.
- Digital processing modules: processors and microcontrollers, programmable logic platforms;
- Analog and mixed-mode processing modules: analog-to-digital and digital-to-analog converter; amplifiers and programmable filters.
- Sensors and actuators: characterization and their integration into electronic systems
- Power and energy management: optimization of energy use in autonomous electronic systems; characterization of batteries and their charging
- Communications: between integrated circuits and long-distance radio
- Hybrid software-hardware design of a smart sensing and actuation system.