At the end of this curricular unit the student will have acquired the knowledge, skills and competences that allow to:
- know the physical limits for the digital transmission of information in SISO, SIMO, MISO and MIMO channels
- know the transmission techniques in single and multi user MIMO systems.
- characterize reception techniques in MIMO systems and the receivers suitable for this type of systems, as well as the signal processing algorithm and the trade-off between efficiency and complexity.
- Know the implementation techniques of massive MIMO systems and solutions adopted to minimize complexity and ensure efficiency on practical hardware deployments.
- give the theoretical bases and competences that allow to carry out professional activity in the area, or the continuation for more advanced studies.
Paulo da Costa Luís da Fonseca Pinto, Rui Miguel Henriques Dias Morgado Dinis
Weekly - 4
Total - 52
1. Thomas L. Marzetta, Erik G. Larsson, Hong Yang, Hien Quoc Ngo, Fundamentals of Massive MIMO, 1st edition, Cambridge University Press; December 19, 2016.ISBN-13: 978-1107175570
2. Emil Björnson, Jakob Hoydis, Luca Sanguinetti, Massive MIMO Networks: Spectral, Energy, and Hardware Efficiency (Foundations and Trends(r) in Signal Processing) Hardcover –, Now publishers, January 3, 2018. ISBN-10: 1680839853
3. Papers selecionados
The course has a theoretical component of 2 hours/week and a practical component of 2 hours/week. The basic concepts and techniques are explained in the theoretical lectures. In practical classes students solve several problems by applying the techniques acquired in lectures. They also study various deployments of MIMO systems to understand the different underlying options.
The assessment consists of 2 tests distributed over the semester or, alternatively, a final exam. A practical assessment is also done concerning the detailed study of a specific system and/or transmission technique, which can have a maximum weight of 25% on the final grade.
- Time and frequency
- Spatial diversity
- SIMO and MISO systems
Channel capacity MIMO:
- MIMO channel
- spectral efficiency
- energy efficiency
- Single user MIMO
- Multi-user MIMO
- MIMO detection: ML, ZF, MMSE, ZF-SIC, MMSE-SIC, LR based detection
Pratical deployments considerations:
Programs where the course is taught: