Present a comprehensive overview of the fundamental principles of each major branch of geophysics: gravity, seismology, geochronology, thermodynamics, geoelectricity, and geomagnetism.
At the end the student must:
-know the main methods of geophysical prospecting, as well as understand the potential and limitations of each;
- be able to process, represent and interpret data from the application of the studied methods;
- master some laboratory and field techniques in geophysical prospecting;
- be able to transmit information, problem solving, critical reasoning and apply, in an autonomous way, theoretical knowledge in new situations.
António Alberto Dias
Weekly - 5
Total - 80
Consolidated knowledge in the area of Earth Sciences and Physics I
1. “Geophysics” notes, available at CLIP.
2. W. Lowrie, Fundamentals of Geophysics, Cambridge University Press, 2007
3. Other nominees in class
Lectures and problem-solving sessions.
See the Portuguese version and clarify any doubts with the teachers
1. The Earth in the Solar system
2. Gravity and Prospecting
4. Seismology and Prospecting
5. Electrical Properties and Prospecting
6. Geochronology and Radioactivity
7. Earth''''s thermal properties
Programs where the course is taught: