Purification and Biochemical Characterization of Protein
- Acquire knowledge about the fundamentals and applications of various chromatographic techniques.
- Acquire knowledge about the fundamentals of protein characterization
- Learn to plan a purification from the gene that encodes the protein of interest.
- Understand and select techniques and methodologies suitable for the case study.
- Apply the learned methodologies in the context of specific practical cases of biological relevance. Develop critical thinking in reading and analyzing data, as well as relevant scientific literature in the field.
- Develop oral and written presentation skills in English.
Sofia Rocha Pauleta
Weekly - 1
Total - 14
Background in Analytical Biochemistry, Methods of Separation of Biomolecules, Analytical Chemistry.
Wilson, K., Walker, J. (2018) Principles and Techniques of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology. Hofmann, A., Clokie, S., Eds., 8th Ed.Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, UK. ISBN 978-1-316-61476-1.
Basic Methods in Protein Purification and Analysis: A Laboratory Manual. Ed Simpson, R.J., Adams, P.D., Golemis, E.A. (2009) Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory Press
Artigos científicos publicados em revistas científicas internacionais de referência e com impacto elevado.
The UC is divided into theoretical classes and tutorials, and seminars. In theoretical classes, the main chromatographic techniques, monitoring and evaluation of purification steps, and methodologies used in the basic biochemical characterization of proteins will be taught. The tutorial classes aim to guide the student in the preparation of the monograph, which will be presented in a seminar at the end of the semester. The starting point for the monograph will be a scientific article related to the student''s field of study.
Obligatory to attend all T and TP classes and all seminars.
The evaluation has two components:
- 50% written essay (10-15 pages, without title page, index, bibliography). The subject chosen must be actual, and present aplications about the technique and methodology. The preparation of the written essay will also be evaluated.
- 50% seminar (20 min presentation). The oral and written presentation, as well as the discussion will be evaluated. The participation in the discussion will also be evaluated.
The written work should be preferable in English.
1. Protein purification
1.1. Extraction and fractionation techniques.
1.2. Purification and monitoring.
1.3. Recombinant protein production. Fusion proteins.
2. Basic biochemical characterization.