The main aim of this course is to provide students with an understanding of the theory and practice on environmental and sustainability topics, including their systems, flows and interactions. The assessment of the state of the environment and the specific area of energy and climate change are two principal components.
This course will provide students with the following:
- understanding of the main environmental and sustainability concepts and indicators about the state of the environment in Portugal, the processes of environmental performance assessment and the interactions among environment, energy and climate change.
- Ability to contribute to environmental and sustainability sectorial assessments, in particular for the energy sector, and to analyze the interactions between climate change and other factors in real energy related projects and plans.
João Miguel Dias Joanaz de Melo, Tomás Augusto Barros Ramos
Weekly - 4
Total - 28
- Agência Portuguesa do Ambiente (Ramos, T.B., Coordenação Científica) (2007). Sistema de Indicadores de Desenvolvimento Sustentável – SIDS Portugal. Lisboa.
- European Environment Agency (2010) European Environment- State and Outlook. Copenhagen.
- Everett, B., Boyle, G., Peake, S. and Ramage, J., 2012. Energy Systems and Sustainability: Power for a Sustainable Future, 2nd edition, Oxford University Press, 640 pp.
- Mulder, K. (2006) Sustainable Development for Engineers: A Handbook and Resource Guide. Greenleaf Publishing.
- Rotmans, J., Vries, B. (eds.) (1997). Perspectives on Global Change. The Targets Approach. National Institute of Public Health and the Environment. Cambridge, University Press.
- United Nations Environment Programme (2002) Global Environment Outlook. London: Earthscan, UNEP.
The teaching method is supported by lectures and practical classes. The teaching methods are mainly conducted to support several aspects: a) individual/group technical and scientific skills; b) debate skills and coherent analysis in the interpretation of the studied subjects. Classes will be complemented with a tutorial system, using e-learning tools.
The course evaluation is performed through two tests and one assignment (1/3 each in the final score). It is necessary that the average score is equal or higher than 9.5.
1. In depth approach to environmental and sustainability concepts and theories
2. State of the environment and sustainability indicators for Portugal
3. Environmental performance evaluation methods and processes
4. The role of renewable energies in the electric sector – relationship between different sources od production, demand reduction objectives, energy efficiency and consumer’s behavior
5. Renewable energies and environment: advantages and drawbacks for air, water, noise, nature conservation and spatial planning
6. Energy and climate change
7. Development models for 2050
Programs where the course is taught: