Biological Indicators on Agro Industrial Quality
Acquisition of expertise and ability:(1) Concept and representatives of indicators of agro industries; (2) Productive process and quality parameters.
Acquisition of ability and proficiency: (1) Monitoring and methodologies; (2) Quality control and sanitary surveillance.
Acquisition of expertise, ability and proficiency: (1) Impact evaluation on the quality of natural and human ecosystems; (2) Intervention to solve concrete problems; (3) Use of the EC standards and legal regulations.
Ana Lúcia Monteiro Durão Leitão
Weekly - 4
Total - 56
Background on biology and chemistry.
Jay JM, Loessner MJ, Golden DA (2005) Modern food microbiology. 7ª Edição, Springer Science, Nova York, EUA, 790 pp, (ISBN 0-387-23180-3).
Ray B, Bhunia A (2008) Fundamental food microbiology. 4ª Edição, CRC Press, Boca Raton, Londres, Nova York, 492 pp, (ISBN-13:978-0-8493-7529-3).
Mendes B, Santos Oliveira JF (2004) Qualidade da Água para Consumo Humano. Lidel-Edições Técnicas, Lda (Ed.), Lisboa, Porto, Coimbra, 625 pp, (ISBN 972757274X).
Adams MR, Moss MO (1995) Microbiología de los alimentos. Acribia, S.A., Zaragoza, Espanha, 464pp, (ISBN 84-200-0830-3).
Theoretical classrooms data show. Practical laboratory sessions.
- Continuous assessment with 4 elements of evaluation:
Theoretical-Practical Evaluation: 2 Tests (each one 30% to the final grade). Weighted average of the 2 elements of evaluation must be equal or higher than 9.5 values (scale of 20).
Laboratorial Evaluation: 1) Assiduity of the practical laboratorial sessions; (2) Elaboration and discussion of two practical reports (each one 20% to the final grade).
Frequency is obtained with the presence in 2/3 of practical classes.
Final rating: (0.60*Theoretical-Practical Evaluation) + (0.40*Laboratorial Evaluation). Approval is obtained with a minimum score of 9.5 (scale of 20).
- Students without approval on the continuous assessment examination can proceed to the final exam, with the classification being defined by: 0.60 *Exam + 0.40*Classification of the Laboratorial Evaluation. Approval is obtained with a minimum score of 9.5 (scale of 20).
- Improvement of the classification requires a registration in the schedule examination period. The classification of the practical component cannot be improved and follows in the next year.
- Characterization of the main types of biological hazards
- Factors influencing microbial growth in food
- Concepts and criteria of selection of indicators of food microbial quality
- Strategies of verification of hygiene and safety requirements in the food industries
- Microbial food spoilage
- Microbial foodborne diseases
B.- Practical component:
- Examination of microbial indicators of water quality
- Detection and enumeration of Escherichia coli
- Detection and enumeration of Enterococcus
- Fungi enumeration
Programs where the course is taught: