At the end of this course the student should acquired knowledge and skills to:
1. Understand the importance and significance of nutrition.
2. To recognize the biological role of nutritional components of food.
3. To recognize the biological role of bioactive components of food.
4. Understand the importance of nutrition in the development of innovative food products.
Maria Paula Amaro de Castilho Duarte
Weekly - 4
Total - 56
Basic knowledge of biochemistry.
KRAUSE''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''S FOOD & NUTRITION THERAPY (2008), 12ªEdição. Saunders , Filadélfia, EUA.
Theoretical Lectures with datashow. Experimental studies in laboratory facilities
Evaluation of theoretical component: 2 Mini-Tests (each one 30% to the final grade). Weighted average of the 2 elements of evaluation must be equal or higher than 9.5 values (scale of 20).
Evaluation of the practical component: 1) Assiduity of the practical laboratorial sessions; (2) Elaboration and discussion of two practical reports (each one 20% to the final grade).
Frequency is obtained with the presence in 2/3 of laboratory classes.
Final rating: (0.60*Theoretical component) + (0.40*Practical component). Approval with a minimum score of 9.5 (scale of 20).
- Students without approval on the continuous assessment examination can proceed to the final exam, with the classification being defined by: 0.60 *Exam + 0.40*Classification of the practical component. Approval with a minimum score of 9.5 (scale of 20).
- Improvement of the classification requires a registration in the schedule examination period. The classification of the practical component cannot be improved and follows in the next year.
1. Biological role of nutrients
2. nutritional value of foods. Tables of Food Composition. Bases of nutritional data.
3. The digestive process. Digestion and absorption of nutrients. Bioaccessibility and bioavailability.
4. Functional foods.
5. Allergies and food intolerances.
6. Development of new products based on nutritional recommendations.
Programs where the course is taught: