Acquisition of knowledge, skills and competencies on food packaging and food labeling.
Ana Luísa Almaça da Cruz Fernando
Weekly - 2
Total - 42
Background on microbiology and chemistry.
Robertson, G. L. (2006) Food Packaging. Principles and Practice. 2nd Ed., CRC Press Ed.), Boca Raton.
Fellows P. (2000) Food Processing and Technology. Principles and Practice. CRC Press (Ed.), Boca Raton.
Fernando, A. L. (2013) Folhas de Apoio à disciplina de Acondicionamento e Embalagem de Alimentos, DCTB/FCT, Monte Caparica.
Poças, M. F. (2003) Embalagens Alimentares, Escola Superior de Biotecnologia, Universidade Católica Portuguesa, Porto
Theoretical Lectures with datashow. Experimental studies in laboratory facilities.Technical tours to food industries.
The evaluation will be obtained through four elements, a mini-test in group, the realization of a group report, a presentation of a paper in group, answers to 2 quizzes (each 5%) in group. The final classification results from the following formula: 0.3 * Mini-test1 + 0.3 * report + 0.3 * presentation + 0.1 * responses to Quizzes.
Approval: minimum classification of 9.5 values (scale of 20) in the final classification. In case students do not obtain approval by continuous assessment, they can go to the final exam. In this case the final classification will be: 0.7 * exam grade + 0.3 * report. Approval: minimum classification of 9.5 values (scale of 20) in the final classification.
* Changes to the assessment *
1) If laboratory classes are not possible :. Demonstration of the technique and then analysis and discussion of results.
2) The tests will be carried out in person and on previously scheduled dates.
Obtaining frequency: Mandatory presence of 4 (3 P classes and 3 guest classes).
To be reevaluated if there is no possibility of taking laboratory classes
1. Introduction; definition, function, cycle, terminology, classification.
2. Glass packaging.
3. Metal packaging.
4. Plastic packaging.
5. Paper and card packaging
6. Wood, textile and cork packaging
7. Complex packaging.
8. Active and intelligent packaging. Practical examples.
9. Migration and legislation. Materials in contact with food.
Programs where the course is taught: