After students have studied, in compulsory courses, issues related to contracts in general, namely their formation and their performance and non-performance, this optional course has as its main objective to give students the possibility to reflect on consumer law and, in particular, consumer contracts, which are very common contracts in the day-to-day life of all of us. Questions related to the formation of the contract, the content of the contract, the right to withdraw and the performance and non-performance of the contract are the main topics of study, dealing in particular with the regimes of the following contracts (distance and off-premises contracts; sale of consumer goods; contracts for the supply of services of general interest; consumer credit contracts). Consumer ADR is also studied due to its relevance for consumer law.
Jorge Morais Carvalho
Weekly - 4.5
Total - Available soon
- Antunes, José Engrácia, Direito do Consumo, Almedina, Coimbra, 2019
- Almeida, Carlos Ferreira de, Direito do Consumo, Almedina, Coimbra, 2005
- Carvalho, Jorge Morais, Manual de Direito do Consumo, 7th ed., Almedina, Coimbra, 2020
- Carvalho, Jorge Morais (coord.), Casos Práticos Resolvidos de Direito do Consumo, Almedina, Coimbra, 2019
- Carvalho, Jorge Morais, Pinto-Ferreira, João Pedro, & Carvalho, Joana Campos, Manual de Resolução Alternativa de Litígios de Consumo, Almedina, Coimbra, 2017
- Falcão, David, Lições de Direito do Consumo, Almedina, Coimbra, 2019
Case studies solved in class together with students.
- Final written exam;
- Two tests, written assignment and class participation: 100% (optional final exam for grade improvement).
The syllabus includes all the most relevant consumer law topics, allowing students to understand and work around any issue that may arise in this field in their personal or professional life. The classes consist of the resolution of practical cases, which enables the student to apply the theoretical knowledge to real or created cases.
Programs where the course is taught: