Master's in Law and Economics of the Sea - Ocean Governance
Sea Governance is an interdisciplinary, unique and innovative program dedicated to the study of all issues related to ocean governance.
Internationally distinguished as one of the best master’s programs at a global level, it will hereafter be lectured in English, reinforcing its international scope, conscious that on the oceans we meet the main challenges and opportunities for sustainable global development.
NOVA School of Law is the sole Portuguese institution forming part of the UN and Nippon Foundation of Japan, with a program of study devoted to the Law of the Sea. It is engaged in supporting students for both public and private entities, as well as in research at some of the most important international institutions on maritime issues.
The Master’s offers specialized training paths on the sea via a multidisciplinary and integrated approach committed
to sustainable development. It offers a Post-Graduate Certificate (1st phase) while simultaneously generating the conditions to continue studies towards the completion of our Master’s degree in Law and Economy of the Sea (2nd phase).
Academic qualifications are accepted from a wide range of disciplines. In the last few years, Law and Economics
of the Sea students have come from Law, Economics, Management, Finance, Social and Political Sciences, International Relations, Geography, Marine Biology, and Engineering backgrounds. Our syllabus is designed to enhance new holistic approaches to maritime studies and thus offer new tools attuned to its better governance.
More information: https://novalaw.unl.pt/en/mestrados/law-and-economics-of-the-sea/
Master (2nd Cycle)
Access to other programs
Access to the PhD Program
Armando Marques Guedes, Assunção Cristas, Vasco Becker-Weinberg
Submission of applications: from 1 to 26 February
Announcement of application results: 30 March
Submission of appeal against results: from 30 March to 05 April
Enrolment: from 06 to 12 April
Submission of applications: from 19 April to 14 May
Announcement of application results: 31 May
Submission of appeal against results: from 30 May to 04 June
Enrolment: from 07 to 11 June
*1st phase remaining places, if any
Applications from students who prove they will be able to complete their bachelor’s degree (licenciatura) by September 2020 will be accepted.
- Annual fee for the taught component: 3,900.00€
- Non-taught component (dissertation), 1 year: 1,000.00€
- Students whose final average admission to this Master is equal to or higher than 17 points (on a scale 0-20) benefit from a 50% discount on the total amount of the tuition fee, which cannot be combined with other discounts;
- Students whose final average admission to this Master is equal to or higher than 16 points (on a scale 0-20) benefit from a 30% discount on the total amount of the tuition fee, which cannot be combined with other discounts;
- Three merit scholarships will be granted in the non-curricular semester (in either the master's or specialization area): one corresponding to the total of the tuition fee, which will be awarded to the best grade in the taught component, and the other two merit scholarships will be granted to the second and third best classifications, which will receive a reduction of 50% of the tuition fee. To assess the best classifications in the taught component, only the classifications obtained in the NOVA School of Law will be taken into account. This scholarship assumes the conclusion of the taught component is within the stipulated time limit.
ALUMNI DISCOUNT: 10%
FINANCIAL DISCOUNT: Students who choose to pay tuition fees in a single initial payment receive a 5% discount.
CURRENT PROTOCOL DISCOUNTS: Discount of 25%, which cannot be combined with other discounts, for members of:
- Association of Portuguese Judges and the Trade Union;
- Association of Public Prosecution Service Magistrates.
This course is taught after working hours. Some UC'S can be taught during working hours.
Conditions of admittance
MDEM is open to all students, researchers and staff in the public and private sector, regardless of the scientific area of their academic training. Over the years, Master's students were licensed and post-graduated in Law, Economics, Management, Finance, Political Science, International Relations, Geography, Marine Biology and other Engineering
Applications from students who prove they will be able to complete their bachelor’s degree
(licenciatura) by September 2020 will be accepted.
Holders of a bachelor’s degree (licenciatura) or legal equivalent.
Applicants will be selected according to the following parameters:
– Final grade of the degree which the applicant is applying with (50%);
– Relevance and suitability of previous background to the master’s degree course with regard to the pluridisciplinary nature of the course (50%); the jury assigns each applicant a grade of 0 to 20, based on analysis of the letter of motivation and curriculum vitae. If necessary, the members of the jury may decide to conduct an interview with all or some of the applicants. Due consideration is given to: (i) a degree in Law, Economics, Management, Public Policies, Marine Sciences, Political Sciences, Military Sciences, Social Sciences; (ii) for post-Bologna graduates, a degree corresponding to at least 240 ECTS;
– Applicants with a rating lower than 9.5 will automatically be excluded.
The course lasts for four semesters and the student must complete 120 ECTS to obtain a master's degree. In the first two semesters, the student must complete the academic part and is intended to last two semesters the preparation of Dissertation, Project Work or Internship Report.